Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Personal Statement frustration

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by cystapharm, Mar 13, 2007.

1. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    How did you guys go about in writing your personal statements? What are some important things you felt necessary to include or keep out and who were all the poeple you consulted in helping you write or edit your ps? Let's make this the general PharmCAS type essay because I know some of you will tell me that it's diffeent for different schools. No matter how many drafts I write I keep feeling that it's not good enough or that I'm not talking about the right things. What books did you guys use to help with the proper format and stuff.......there's hardly any pharmacy sample essays.....its mostly all medical schools and such.

2. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
  3. annievu

annievu Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm in the same boat...:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. yawj797

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lurkerkat

Lurkerkat Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I just simply wrote about my path that led me to pharmacy and why I'm passionate about being involved in a health science field. I wasn't aware there was a format. Just write it in your own writing style. Trying to base it off of a sample essay would make it too impersonal and wouldn't tell the admissions folk anything about who you are and why they should be interested in you.

6. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Essentially, a personal statement is a short story about the driving forces that led you to pursue pharmacy. If you can put your reasons for pursuing pharmacy into a storybook format, then you have your personal statement.

I know that this advice seems vague, but I think some people get caught up in the details needed for a figurative "slam-dunk" personal statement and lose sight of the personal statement's purpose to tell the admissions committee your story.:)

7. PrePharm1980

2+ Year Member

Just write what you're heart tells you to.

8. Dr.Biassi

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    It's mostly how you feel about the field and what made you choose. This is the outline of my statement. the comittee was impressed I guess that's why they picked me for an interview
    1-Autobiography and educational history with difficulties encountered (one paragraph)
    2-Decision to choose pharmacy as a career choice (How,when,where and factors that make you choose the field-One paragraph)
    3-Volunteering, Experiences that shape your life (How do you or are you prepare to enter the field)
    4-Future plans!!!
    I hope this help. There are many ways to put it together though. good luck

9. Utterdevotion

Utterdevotion Hopeful future pharmacist
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was going to post later on in the year (like May) to offer my help in proofreading any personal statements. But I can extend the offer early too. PM me!

10. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Maybe we should dig up that old thread about proofing.... seems like the class of 2012 is already gearing up!

11. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    My only advice is to immediately grab the readers attention. Adcoms read thousands of personal statements a year. You need to stand out quickly in order to wake them up.

If I get my acceptance letter, I will post mine as an example. I would like to think it helped to make a difference in my admissions process.