Personal Statement Help...Do I need to explicitly mention passion for science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bishbish777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the boring thread, but I have found everybody here to be very kind and helpful, so I was hoping I could a run a question by everybody. I am just finishing up my personal statement right now and I realized that I did not talk at any point about being passionate for science. It is a very service/volunteer oriented essay.

Is this necessarily a problem? My reasoning for omitting it was that my grades/DAT scores (hopefully) would attest to my academic skills, so I could focus the personal statement on something else. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Most of my classmates aren't too excited about science. Perhaps if you were tailoring your application to a particular research school, maybe it would be appropriate to focus on science. However, back when I applied, I left that kind of stuff for the secondaries. I mainly focused on experiences with the clinical parts of dentistry, a little professionalism, and some patient to doctor rapport. The bulk of my essay was about actually being a dentist and only sprinkled with a few sentences about my achievements and passion related to science.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like it wasnt necessary, then don't try to force it in. They can see from your E.C and your major if you're into science or not.

If you feel like it wasnt necessary, then don't try to force it in. They can see from your E.C and your major if you're into science or not.

What if it isn't immediately apparent from those, either? I mean, I've taken the necessary pre-requisite courses and worked (not researched) in a biology lab, but that's just about my only science. I am actually a non-science major.

EDIT: By the way, THANK YOU to everybody else who replied, I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
What if it isn't immediately apparent from those, either? I mean, I've taken the necessary pre-requisite courses and worked (not researched) in a biology lab, but that's just about my only science. I am actually a non-science major.

EDIT: By the way, THANK YOU to everybody else who replied, I really appreciate it. :)
I think I mentioned my strengths in my last paragraph but I spent the body of the essay just on experiences with clinical stuff. You shouldn't spend any part of your body just telling an experience in some science lab because that has nothing to do with being a dentist. Think hands, heart, head. You gotta love handy work, love building relationships with people, and you gotta have the smarts to solve problems and have the willpower to get through this arduous process.

I think I mentioned my strengths in my last paragraph but I spent the body of the essay just on experiences with clinical stuff. You shouldn't spend any part of your body just telling an experience in some science lab because that has nothing to do with being a dentist.

That makes sense. Again, thank you for all your help.

My best advice. Take it to a writing center.