personal statement help!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple487

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know im a little late with the whole application process, but I am having some trouble with personal statement question like for NECOs and PCO ... and others please help or some suggestions at least!!!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i know im a little late with the whole application process, but I am having some trouble with personal statement question like for NECOs and PCO ... and others please help or some suggestions at least!!!!

Thanks!

The best answer that I can give you, based upon the information you provided, and having read your previous posts, is to talk to someone in your school's career center.

"Give a thoughtful, candid analysis of your professional objectives, both long term and short term. Include the following: why you want to study optometry, how you first became interested in the profession, and how you envision your career in optometry."

Pulled that from the NECO admissions page. What seems to be the problem? Id suggest packing the essay with your opt related shadow/volunteering/work experience. Perhaps a fun anticdote of how you decided you wanted to stare at eyeballs for the next 40 years. Id keep it around a page single spaced.

just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
just tell them about you and why you want to be an optometrist, just be honest

I'm finishing up my last two applications, and for these two schools they ask for a brief personal statement (no essay questions or word limit). Is 1.5 pages single spaced (12 font) and ~700 words too long?
Thanks

can someone give me their opinion please, I'm mailing out these two apps tomorrow; thanks

I wouldn't shorten it up. You are applying kind of late so the more information to get you an interview the better. I think most of the applications I filled out said 800 word limit. So if you feel you need to add to it, thats probably okay too.

can someone give me their opinion please, I'm mailing out these two apps tomorrow; thanks

Depends on how many words the school wanted for your personal statement. I tried to keep mine around 300 words for OSU and ended up going about 356 which was fine. It isn't a personal thesis though. Examine your essay and if it is representative of yourself...maybe try and condense it some if its wordy but I am sure you could stick with what you have if you don't know any guidelines. :cool: