Personal Statement Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura Jean

Reaction score
My grandparents are anti-medicine. They don't think that going to the doctor is necessary and therefore even though they are almost 10 years younger than my other grandparents (who still go dancing all the time and are very active outdoors every day) they are both honestly very ill. My grandfather has so many problems with his diabetes, weight, and heart. My grandma is so ill in many ways -- open sores, extreme weakness and fatigue, mini-seizures that have led to memory loss and vision and hearing impairment, etc. They are literally digging their own grave. This is an ongoing struggle for my dad and his sisters to make sure they are taken to the doctors even when they refuse (but they've been like this for as long as I know of). I do not have much clinical experience, thanks covid. But I have some volunteer experience -- not the point though. Seeing the difference in my grandparents, the ones who go to the doctor every month and although they are 80 years old, they live alone on their farm, volunteer in their community, and do house and outdoor projects every single day, and the other ones that are around 70 years old, but we fear that our years left with them are minimal. This was what got me interested in medicine -- To be that person to help others and provide care so that people can live long, healthy lives and continue to enjoy their favorite activities. Is this a good idea? Any opinions or advice about how to go about this more unique topic...

Members don't see this ad.

Write it and see how it turns out. Include more about your path to medicine—how did you explore and affirm your interest?

Reactions: 1 user
I think the premise is ok, and seems genuine as a reason as to why you are drawn to medicine. But we can also elaborate on that idea with personal clinical experiences! You don't want to come off as naive, and simple statements like " be that person to help others and provide care so that people can live long, healthy lives and continue to enjoy their favorite activities." is bordering on the classic "I want to help people" personal statement trope. As a doctor, you have to understand that there are patients that you simply can't save from themselves.

Are there solutions to this feeling of helplessness? How does this shape the kind of doctor you want to be?

I think being able to tie this motivation for medicine to other activities that you have done as you've matured as a pre-med will help flesh out this concept a lot and make a more nuanced explanation of why medicine calls to you above anything else.

Pretty much what ^^^ said... Good start, now explore and affirm those initial experiences that made you a premed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like it a lot if you approached it as "I want to be a person that bridges the gap between medical professionals and those who distrust medicine" because that would be great for a personal statement.

Reactions: 1 users
It's an interesting and unique angle and comes across very authentically. I am interested to see if it can be converted to a personal statement that is effective. Like others said very well, write and see what it turns into. At the very least, it can be a great topic to talk about in person where I think it will translate very well. If between now and then you end up motivating your less healthy grandparents, that could be a great way to come full circle.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I would like it a lot if you approached it as "I want to be a person that bridges the gap between medical professionals and those who distrust medicine" because that would be great for a personal statement.
That cat is absolutely beautiful!

Yes. I think this would be an excellent continuation of the ideas OP presented. I almost wrote my entire PS on this due to a cousin of mine who hates doctors bc of a bad experience with hospitalization and then costs. It's sad bc I still don't know the solution to this either after 4 years of premed. Maybe I will get closer to an answer of how to reach people like this after 4 years of med school, or residency...

Yes. I think this would be an excellent continuation of the ideas OP presented. I almost wrote my entire PS on this due to a cousin of mine who hates doctors bc of a bad experience with hospitalization and then costs. It's sad bc I still don't know the solution to this either after 4 years of premed. Maybe I will get closer to an answer of how to reach people like this after 4 years of med school, or residency...
Yeah, it's certainly a rough issue in medicine. Hopefully OP feels this way and can write about it because I think it has solid potential.

Reactions: 1 user