Personal Statement lengths and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • I wonder how long a personal statement should be?

My draft PS is a page and half. I showed it at the writing center. One of the people there said the intro is a bit informal which I already knew that, but this personal statement is not my final one; I just did it to get the letter of recommendations from my professors, because they wanted a PS. Then another person who works there said my intro is funny and keep it informal?

• Any good website to look at Personal statement examples? I am kinda confused now. When I google I only see the same two samples I read 2 months ago.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  • I wonder how long a personal statement should be?

My draft PS is a page and half. I showed it at the writing center. One of the people there said the intro is a bit informal which I already knew that, but this personal statement is not my final one; I just did it to get the letter of recommendations from my professors, because they wanted a PS. Then another person who works there said my intro is funny and keep it informal?

• Any good website to look at Personal statement examples? I am kinda confused now. When I google I only see the same two samples I read 2 months ago.

Thank you for your help.
4500 characters is what I think AADSAS limits it to me. Ask some of your pre-dental friends if they can share their Personal Statements with you. Mine essentially answered "Why dentistry?"

4500 characters is what I think AADSAS limits it to me. Ask some of your pre-dental friends if they can share their Personal Statements with you. Mine essentially answered "Why dentistry?"

Thank you, 4500 is not much!
I don't have pre-med friends and they don't help in person anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, 4500 is not much!
I don't have pre-med friends and they don't help in person anyway.
No it isn't, but you manage to say what you need in that length as you don't really have a choice. Check out some samples online. Maybe getting into a pre-dental society wouldn't be a bad idea as it will give you in-person access to others who have applied or are applying.

There is no right or wrong really with a PS. Just make it unique enough that your story isn't the same as everyone else's since everyone doesn't live the same life :)

You should focus on your personal story. Start by writing bullet points of significant occurrences that has occurred in your life. Then try to see if those life events have built characteristics or stimulated you into wanting to become a dentist. Everyones personal statement is unique to them. There is no right or wrong way to write them. It is important that you're able to fully convey why you would make a great dentist based on your life event/character and why you want to become a dentist.

No it isn't, but you manage to say what you need in that length as you don't really have a choice. Check out some samples online. Maybe getting into a pre-dental society wouldn't be a bad idea as it will give you in-person access to others who have applied or are applying.

There is no right or wrong really with a PS. Just make it unique enough that your story isn't the same as everyone else's since everyone doesn't live the same life :)

THank you for your reply
I'm almost done with the PS, but I wrote 6500 characters, now I need to omit things to get it 4500 which is gonna be real hard.

You should focus on your personal story. Start by writing bullet points of significant occurrences that has occurred in your life. Then try to see if those life events have built characteristics or stimulated you into wanting to become a dentist. Everyones personal statement is unique to them. There is no right or wrong way to write them. It is important that you're able to fully convey why you would make a great dentist based on your life event/character and why you want to become a dentist.
Thank you for your tips.
this is gonna be hard, why would I make a great dentist based on my life?
I mean I can talk why dentistry, but why would I make a great dentist? How anyone can really know that! that's so hard, is this part really necessary?

THank you for your reply
I'm almost done with the PS, but I wrote 6500 characters, now I need to omit things to get it 4500 which is gonna be real hard.
Focus on getting all your ideas down perfectly. Then worry about character length at the very very end. Don't be afraid to toss out ideas, or to rewrite parts or even your entire essay.

Thank you for your tips.
this is gonna be hard, why would I make a great dentist based on my life?
I mean I can talk why dentistry, but why would I make a great dentist? How anyone can really know that! that's so hard, is this part really necessary?
Think about what makes a great dentist. What qualities do you have that correlate with what makes a great dentist? No one can really know until they get there, but some things are obvious. Are you really bad, slow, or hate working with your hands? Hopefully not. Are you hate the sciences? Do you dislike interacting with others? I'm sure you know the answer to these, and ultimately why dentistry.