Personal Statement line-by-line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildvet

UIUC CVM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I know that there was a thread about this a while back (I don't remember when), but I thought it would be fun to start this up again. My friend and I were doing this last night, and I think it would be fun for us to do too! It might be a good way to relieve us of all this stress while we're waiting to hear from our schools. :)

Basically I'll start the first few lines of a personal statement, and you guys can add the rest and just have a little fun with it! If you're posting something, be sure to copy/paste everything else from previous posts in your reply so it appears neat. And you can change mine if you want, I just wanted to get something going lol.

Ok, 5000 characters. Ready, set, go!

I was 5 years old. I could not clearly see my dog behind the shroud of tears that blinded my eyes. The car had damaged his side so badly, I really did not think he was going to make it. I quickly raced inside the house and grabbed my dad's emergency bag. He was not at home, as he was busy managing his 20 clinics around the world, his presidency at the AVMA, and his professor status at all 28 vet schools, so I had to do the procedure on my own. I had lost both my arms in a fight with a tiger as a baby, so I did surgery on that dog with my bare feet and nursed him back to health. Watching that dog survive made me realize my dream of becoming a veterinarian.

Members don't see this ad.

I was 5 years old. I could not clearly see my dog behind the shroud of tears that blinded my eyes. The car had damaged his side so badly, I really did not think he was going to make it. I quickly raced inside the house and grabbed my dad's emergency bag. He was not at home, as he was busy managing his 20 clinics around the world, his presidency at the AVMA, and his professor status at all 28 vet schools, so I had to do the procedure on my own. I had lost both my arms in a fight with a tiger as a baby, so I did surgery on that dog with my bare feet and nursed him back to health. Watching that dog survive made me realize my dream of becoming a veterinarian.

That's why, at age 7, I became the youngest certified vet tech in the world. I managed to gain my certification alongside college courses, while completing 2nd grade because my teachers wanted my test scores to up the school's funding. I singlehandedly pulled my inner-city school from 'unfunded' to 'top-rate technology' with those 2nd grade test scores.

That's why, at age 7, I became the youngest certified vet tech in the world. I managed to gain my certification alongside college courses, while completing 2nd grade because my teachers wanted my test scores to up the school's funding. I singlehandedly pulled my inner-city school from 'unfunded' to 'top-rate technology' with those 2nd grade test scores.

Despite being the world's youngest certified veterinary technician, I was chosen to travel to South Africa to assist a team of world-renowned veterinarians. I assisted in some of the most recent veterinary medical advances concerning the surgery of African elephants, more specifically, the castration of male African elephants.

Members don't see this ad :)

Despite being the world's youngest certified veterinary technician, I was chosen to travel to South Africa to assist a team of world-renowned veterinarians. I assisted in some of the most recent veterinary medical advances concerning the surgery of African elephants, more specifically, the castration of male African elephants.

It wasn't until 3 years later and 2 failed marriages while in the 5th grade, that I learned from the Colbert Report that the wikipedia article I had read about the boom in African Elephant population was a lie. I immediately began a fund raiser drive and raised both money and awareness about the plight of the African Elephants I helped castrate. Unable to find support, I traveled to Africa alone, tracked down 32 of the 33 castrated elephants and single handedly reversed the castration procedure with only a pocket knife and some duct tape.

It wasn't until 3 years later and 2 failed marriages while in the 5th grade, that I learned from the Colbert Report that the wikipedia article I had read about the boom in African Elephant population was a lie. I immediately began a fund raiser drive and raised both money and awareness about the plight of the African Elephants I helped castrate. Unable to find support, I traveled to Africa alone, tracked down 32 of the 33 castrated elephants and single handedly reversed the castration procedure with only a pocket knife and some duct tape.

Unfortunately, during my time in the African wilderness, I caught the worst case of cholera ever documented. I decided to seclude myself from all local populations in order to prevent the start of an epidemic. One night, while I was lying on a bed of leaves, mud, and soft bark, I began to realize that it might be time for me to let go; after all, how much more could a 12 year old do to improve the state of wild African elephants? But then, out of the corner of my bloodshot eyes, I caught the glimpse of a family of chimps. They surrounded my camping ground and supplied me with a constant platter of fruits and grubs. After one year of living with the chimps, although healthy, I had lost my sense of the english language and of common human behavior. I was labeled, the "wild chimp man" of South Africa.

Unfortunately, during my time in the African wilderness, I caught the worst case of cholera ever documented. I decided to seclude myself from all local populations in order to prevent the start of an epidemic. One night, while I was lying on a bed of leaves, mud, and soft bark, I began to realize that it might be time for me to let go; after all, how much more could a 12 year old do to improve the state of wild African elephants? But then, out of the corner of my bloodshot eyes, I caught the glimpse of a family of chimps. They surrounded my camping ground and supplied me with a constant platter of fruits and grubs. After one year of living with the chimps, although healthy, I had lost my sense of the english language and of common human behavior. I was labeled, the "wild chimp man" of South Africa.

During this time, for about a year or so, I developed problem solving skills, such as how to use twigs to collect termites to eat. I also was able to learn to communicate with the chimps in their monkey language. They informed me that there were wild mice in Africa that were the silent carriers of a disease that, if transmitted to humans, would cause both eyes to balloon out and all of our limbs to shrink in half. My chimp grandfather told me that I was really a 14 year old human, and that I needed to regain my speaking skills in order to warn the human race and save all of mankind. I left the wilderness and a rich African retaught me everything...from speaking English to wearing clothes to using the toilet. After 2 years of this and also of painful physical therapy to relearn how to not walk on my knuckles, I used my fame as the "ex-wild chimp man" to make a very important announcement to the world about the secret mice and their dangerous zoonose.

During this time, for about a year or so, I developed problem solving skills, such as how to use twigs to collect termites to eat. I also was able to learn to communicate with the chimps in their monkey language. They informed me that there were wild mice in Africa that were the silent carriers of a disease that, if transmitted to humans, would cause both eyes to balloon out and all of our limbs to shrink in half. My chimp grandfather told me that I was really a 14 year old human, and that I needed to regain my speaking skills in order to warn the human race and save all of mankind. I left the wilderness and a rich African retaught me everything...from speaking English to wearing clothes to using the toilet. After 2 years of this and also of painful physical therapy to relearn how to not walk on my knuckles, I used my fame as the "ex-wild chimp man" to make a very important announcement to the world about the secret mice and their dangerous zoonose.

Once the world was properly informed about how dangerous mice can really be, I began a movement to eradicate the world of rodents at the age of 16. However, I ended up being rescued out of a pit of quicksand by a squirrel. I had the new revelation that rodent eradication wasn't such I good idea. So I changed my philosophy to only allow those to live that had bushy tails. I hope everyone got the memo.

Once the world was properly informed about how dangerous mice can really be, I began a movement to eradicate the world of rodents at the age of 16. However, I ended up being rescued out of a pit of quicksand by a squirrel. I had the new revelation that rodent eradication wasn't such I good idea. So I changed my philosophy to only allow those to live that had bushy tails. I hope everyone got the memo.

After 2 years of trying to eradicate all the non-bushy tailed rodents of the world failed, I decided to seeks help. Using the money I made selling short on the housing market, I dropped 500K and became an Illinois Senator. Using the my new found powers, I successfully convinced the world that non-bushy tailed Rodents just had to go. Unfortunately, I found that I had a lot of time on my hands, being a Senator and all, and caught up on my reading. After reading the true story of Aurthur Dent, I came to the conclusion that Dolphins were also a liability, and turned my attention to those unholy water breathing fish; So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

This is amazing. I'd continue it, but the last line was the perfect ending.

Shall we start another?

Let's do it. And maybe try to keep each contribution to less than a huge paragraph.

I realized three months past conception that I wanted to be a veterinarian because my mother...

This is amazing. I'd continue it, but the last line was the perfect ending.

Shall we start another?

Thanks, glad someone got it :)

Ohh, and Don't Panic

Let's do it. And maybe try to keep each contribution to less than a huge paragraph.

Lets also try and keep some continuity (was hard to do that since our kid lost both hands and feet his first year out)

I realized three months past conception that I wanted to be a veterinarian because my mother...

New Thread perhaps?