DAT Personal Statement Mistake I’m Seeing More Often This Cycle | DAT Destroyer | OAT Destroyer | Dr. Jim Romano

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
personal statement.png

​
I’ve been helping pre-dental students prepare for over 35 years, and I want to flag something I’m seeing more frequently this application cycle.


A lot of applicants are using AI to write or heavily edit their personal statements. I understand why — it feels like a shortcut when you’re juggling coursework, shadowing, and DAT prep.


But admissions committees are very aware of this. Writing that lacks a genuine voice is being flagged. In some cases, it raises questions about authenticity — which can become a serious issue for an otherwise strong application.


Your personal statement is the one place where you speak directly to the admissions committee. It should reflect your experiences, your motivation, and your path to dentistry — in your own words.


For students who want real feedback, I’ve referred students to EDU Writing Services for over 10 years. They work with you to strengthen your writing without replacing your voice. They also offer a free writing assessment if you want to start there.


EDU Writing Services
EDU Writing Services - EDU Writing Services


Use code ROMANO26 for 15% off any service.


Happy to answer any questions — feel free to post here or message me.

➡️ Start here for free:
Start Your DAT and OAT Preparation for Free | Official Resources from


— Dr. Jim Romano
 
Last edited: