Personal Statement on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanford Fencer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wassup dental badasses!

I'm still in the process of completing my application, and have a quick question with regard to the personal statement. On the web-based application online, it allows for a maximum of 1000 words for the essay. As I first type that up on WORD, 1000 words seem rather long. Is the shorter the better? Or ought we really take advantage of the word account allowed? Thank you all again! :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Stanford Fencer,

I personally thought the 1000 word limit was way too short. My advice to you is to use every single word that you can to try to convey to the admissions committee that you are a hot commodity... :D. The more valuable info. you share about yourself, the better you will look.

Racerdude

Thanx Racerdude...
I was just worried that if the personal statement were too long, whether they'd bother to read it all. But I guess a lot of that has to do with how I write my essay.
:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Use as many words as you feel appropriate. Don't write 1000 words, just to write 1000 words.
Last year, when you had to fit your essay on one sheet of paper, the max. word count was ~700 words.

ditto....some people are naturally very good at being short and sweet and getting their point across effectively in just a few paragrahps....then there are those like myself who would write 2000 words if we were allowed to....if you think you can portray a convincing picture of your desire to be a dentist in 400-500 words, great. If you want to go into more detail about your background and other aspects of you as a person beyond "dentistry," then take some more time and go the 1000 word max route....

hope that helps! :) :cool:

hey stanford....i am actually in the same position as you as far as having the application done but not the essay. I am having trouble with my essay and putting it together and I have read a lot of examples and some from friends who are in dental school and most of them seem a little dry to me. i was just wondering :rolleyes: if you had any suggestions that you know about as far as how an essay should be written. I've already started mine but i wanted it to be somewhat catchy and creative...or am i doing it all wrong? any suggestions? if not, goodluck to you in making into dental school! best wishes!