Personal Statement/patient/ HIPAA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I can talk about a patient's story in my personal statment. No name or many information, will be given just like the gender, experience and their dental issues and how it has impact on me.. etc
Can we do that, or is that a hipaa violation?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don’t disclose the patient’s name, age, gender, date of treatment, etc., it is probably not a "HIPPA violation", that is, not against federal law.

And the thing to remember as to legal issues, is: What does your state mandate (assuming you are in the USA)? We had these HIPPAoid rules in MN years before HIPPA. Ergo, with respect to our state law, I cannot send a letter to the patient's referring dentist without the patient's signed consent.

But is it right? Is it right to share personal information about any patient (excepting to the referring clinician)? Ever?

I think in the Hippocratic oath it says that what happens between the physician and patient is between them alone. You may run into a situation where someone will know about whom you are referring.

If I was in a position to review a personal statement, I would look askance at a one that shared a personal event about any patient.

You can always present yourself positively without such sharing. PM me if you want more input.