Personal Statement (PS) Review and Examples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckybuck11

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current D1 and have plenty of free time currently and am reviewing all PSs sent to me. Short turnaround as well.

I also have 3 Personal Statements from admitted dental students. Feel free to message me for them as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A tiny word of caution when it comes to reading examples of personal statements in the process of writing your own - don't get into the trap of trying to sound like what you have read. The point of personal statements is to be just that - personal. Find your own voice and try to be as unique as possible to stand out.

P.S. if anything, for the benefit of my poor colleagues who aren't keep on reading the umpteenth deja-vu essay after work
P.P.S. yes, faculty do this during their free time. We don't get protected time for application review, which can be annoying.

Reactions: 1 users
A tiny word of caution when it comes to reading examples of personal statements in the process of writing your own - don't get into the trap of trying to sound like what you have read. The point of personal statements is to be just that - personal. Find your own voice and try to be as unique as possible to stand out.

P.S. if anything, for the benefit of my poor colleagues who aren't keep on reading the umpteenth deja-vu essay after work
P.P.S. yes, faculty do this during their free time. We don't get protected time for application review, which can be annoying.
Out of curiosity, what fraction of essays did you actually find enjoyable to read and well-written? Did this necessarily correlate with a decision for admissions? I'm struggling with trying to make my writing not totally dry but beautiful prose isn't my specialty either.

Out of curiosity, what fraction of essays did you actually find enjoyable to read and well-written? Did this necessarily correlate with a decision for admissions? I'm struggling with trying to make my writing not totally dry but beautiful prose isn't my specialty either.
More than you would think :) We’re not so much looking for the next Toni Morrison; rather, just someone who tells their own unique story.

btw, unique story≠ summary of accomplishments

Reactions: 1 users
This is a glaring example of how I find SDN frustrating. A D1 saying they will read and critique a PS from an applicant? What could they possibly contribute? They have no experience with either the admissions process nor the perspective necessary to make any opinion that would be meaningful...unless they were formerly an admissions officer at a college. Barring that, I am continually astounded at the arrogance I routinely see on these pages. Stick to what you know. Being accepted to dental school makes no one an expert. Besides, getting out is what's important.