Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the finishing touches of my personal statement, and I am wondering if I can leave out a brief explanation of a poor grade/life situation. I know it'll be important to discuss in my application somewhere, as it seems like an outlier in my application, but I'm wondering if there will be another place in the application for this? Is there a section in the secondary application/s to discuss these bumps in the road?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would ask if it comes off as an excuse or if it was something that you rose above. Did you have a turn around or are you just offering a reason for some bad grades? I personally feel that can be explained elsewhere. However, if it fits within the flow of your personal statement and is not just tacked onto the end then it should be okay.

I personally would ask if it comes off as an excuse or if it was something that you rose above. Did you have a turn around or are you just offering a reason for some bad grades? I personally feel that can be explained elsewhere. However, if it fits within the flow of your personal statement and is not just tacked onto the end then it should be okay.

Thanks; however, i'm more concerned about whether there is an actual section or short-answer question in the application that addresses this topic! Is it part of the secondary applications?

Thanks; however, i'm more concerned about whether there is an actual section or short-answer question in the application that addresses this topic! Is it part of the secondary applications?
Some of them (maybe most) have a place where you can explain any other circumstances, grade inconsistencies, and other things you want them to know. This does not apply for all of them though.