Personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmilyX

Reaction score
Hi amazing people

I am not sure if my personal statement has the right structure. 1/3 talks about my high school experience (medicine helped me and i tried to helped my friends with my knowledge), 1/3 talks about my own surgical experience, 1/3 talks about my patient interactions. Do you think this structure is good or do I need to include more patient interactions in it? I feel the patient interaction from my volunteering experience are not impactful enough and the reflections are similar. So two similar stories might seem repetitive.

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Without reading your personal statement, it is hard to determine whether the structure works or not. The purpose of your personal statement is to show that you have: (i) a strong desire to pursue medicine; (ii) the experiences necessary to understand what it means to be a medical student and a doctor (i.e., you know what you are getting into); and (iii) the traits and experiences necessary to be an asset to medical schools, and a skilled and humane doctor. If the experiences you reflect upon accomplish these goals, your personal statement will be a success.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi amazing people

I am not sure if my personal statement has the right structure. 1/3 talks about my high school experience (medicine helped me and i tried to helped my friends with my knowledge), 1/3 talks about my own surgical experience, 1/3 talks about my patient interactions. Do you think this structure is good or do I need to include more patient interactions in it? I feel the patient interaction from my volunteering experience are not impactful enough and the reflections are similar. So two similar stories might seem repetitive.

Thank you so much
An application essay is not a high school/AP 5-paragraph essay. I suppose it's a start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without reading your personal statement, it is hard to determine whether the structure works or not. The purpose of your personal statement is to show that you have: (i) a strong desire to pursue medicine; (ii) the experiences necessary to understand what it means to be a medical student and a doctor (i.e., you know what you are getting into); and (iii) the traits and experiences necessary to be an asset to medical schools, and a skilled and humane doctor. If the experiences you reflect upon accomplish these goals, your personal statement will be a success.
Thank you for the comment

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen the 5 paragraph essay work. What will not work is leaning on your own experience as a patient. You are expected to be concerned and curious about your own health. I don't put much weight on caring about friends and relatives who are sick... you are expected to be concerned about people you know and want to help them (or help them even if you don't really want to -- because of family pressure, for example). So, it really comes down to gratitude for the care you experienced and the desire to care for others who are otherwise strangers to you. That should be the bulk of your story -- how have you tested that interest in being a care provider and specifically a physician? What did you learn about yourself and the profession from those experiences? Close with a statement committing yourself to the process of becoming a physician.

Reactions: 2 users