Personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khiladi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what is good to include in a personal statement. So far i have included my moto, why i would like to become a doc, research, individuals who influenced me, honors and awards.

Anything else that i can include to make it a more interesting to read ?

thnx

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think that you should put honors and awards in your PS, unless that is what influenced you to become a doc. Honors and awards go into the EC's sections and if you can avoid repeating yourself by putting it there and then again on your PS. Your PS is to give a snapshot of who you *truly* are and what moved you to become a doc.

thnx for the tip.

now back to the drawing board

Your personal statement should be about who you are -- by that I mean what individualizes you from other applicants. A list of your honors and awards is less useful to admissions committees than an explanation of why you were motivated to achieve those honors and awards. Write about who or what inspires you, and about who you are.

To make it interesting to read, begin with an attention-grabbing lead--an anecdote, question, or engaging description of a scene. Use personal examples to show, not just tell, the admissions committee about yourself. End your essay with a conclusion that refers back to the lead and restates your thesis. And you can find more tips on <a href="http://www.accepted.com/medical/AmcasEssay.aspx" target="_blank">web page</a>

I know that the whole thing is easier said than done. Expect to write and revise your essay a number of times, ask 2 or 3 people whose writing expertise you trust to review it, and read it aloud to see if you like how it sounds.

Best of luck with it!