personal statement question???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtoor

~~fUtUrE_MD_or_DO~~
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi....i was just wondering since i'm applying to MD schools and DO schools, do i need to rewrite or edit my personal statment to put it on the DO school's application? Can i use the same personal statement from the AMCAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

I used the same PS for my AMCAS & AACOMAS applications, however, I had an excellent PS that was commented on by all who read it. I would consider rewriting whatever you have. I only say this b/c when interviewing candidates this year, I can honestly say that I read only ONE good PS. The rest were very average & did not get me interested in the candidate at all.

AACOMAS gives you less space so you will need to edit it since you should be using every space available. Almost every secondary asks "Why DO?" so leave the specifics for them. Krazykritter is absolutely right about putting forth all your energy into writing this. At two of my interviews the interviewer actually told me how much he enjoyed reading my PS and that can make the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nate said:
AACOMAS gives you less space so you will need to edit it since you should be using every space available. Almost every secondary asks "Why DO?" so leave the specifics for them. Krazykritter is absolutely right about putting forth all your energy into writing this. At two of my interviews the interviewer actually told me how much he enjoyed reading my PS and that can make the difference.

What is the character space allotted on the AACOMAS application? The AMCAS allows ~5300 characters.

Thanks.

Packamylase said:
What is the character space allotted on the AACOMAS application? The AMCAS allows ~5300 characters.

Thanks.
3000 characters including spaces... VERY SHORT

Donvb said:

Mine was so much better before I had to shorten it......
AACOMAS is lame!!!

Donvb said:

Thanks.

I don't know how I'm going to cut my essay in half. :(