personal statement question

Started by alpha12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alpha12

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a C in calc 1 and calc 2. I also got a C in another course but it was not a prepharm course. I know that you should explain any bad grades in the ps, but i was wondering if it is worth mentioning. Its kind of hard finding a place to work that in. I don't want to distract from why i want to be a pharmacist and what experiences taught me. Can any of you give me advice?
 
I wouldn't mention it in your PS but I would be prepared to talk about it in any potential interviews. I don't think putting a spotlight on a slight blemish in your academics would be a good idea. Highlight your positives, not your negatives.

The only time I think mentioning bad grades is appropriate is when they are extremely bad and in your case I don't think this applies. Good luck!
 
I got a C in calc 1 and calc 2. I also got a C in another course but it was not a prepharm course. I know that you should explain any bad grades in the ps, but i was wondering if it is worth mentioning. Its kind of hard finding a place to work that in. I don't want to distract from why i want to be a pharmacist and what experiences taught me. Can any of you give me advice?

Having a C or 2 isn't going to kill your app.. I wouldn't talk about it in your PS. As the above poster mentioned, I would be prepared to chat about it in your interview (if it is open file!)

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless you feel that your grades helped you become a better candidate, I wouldn't bring them up in your ps. Like you said, there are other reasons that are more relevant to why you choose pharmacy and why you would be a good student. Plus the fact that you only have a couple of C's in you prepharm course work, I don't think it's that big of a drag on your application. Like the others said above, do be prepared to answer questions about those grades, but I doubt a couple of C's in calc will get you to many questions about them.
 
If you did really well on the math section of the PCAT, you could address your bad grades.
 
A few Cs are not bad. Talking about them will only draw the spotlight away from you and onto your Cs. If asked, then talk/explain. Otherwise, talk about why you're great.