Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Personal Statement-Quick Question please!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Schwann, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Schwann

7+ Year Member

From what I understand the personal statement is supposed to describe why I want to enter medicine. Can I also include why I want to enter a specific specialty(like derm or gastro...)....or does it seem a little naive to think that I know specifically what type of doctor I want to be without even entering medical school.....I appreciate your responses.

2. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Bingo. You can certainly talk about certain experiences you have had, if in fact you have had clinical experiences in ceratin fields. You can talk about how your interest in gastro or derm started via X expereince, but you shouldnt declare "DERM OR DIE" in your personal statement, for the exact reason you mentioned. In my personal statement i talked about how my expereinces in orthopedics and preventive medicine have sparked my interest in those fields, but i also left it open so that they didnt think i was dead set on one field before I even knew anything about the other options (which is true).

3. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, tell them you want to be a cosmetic dermatologist. They love that.

4. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Listen to RySerr.

Also, be aware that some secondaries will ask what field interests you or where you see yourself in a decade. If you write about your interests now, you'll have little to add later.

5. slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady slowbutsteady
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it will look very naive. unless you were in a disfiguring car accident and a plastic surgeon returned you to normalcy.