Personal Statement Readers 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr5paceman

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Readers Available (PM them directly):

amariesa; Applying to ds
DOC YANKEM; (taking a short break from reading PS) Accepted class of 2021; experienced in mentoring pre-dents; gap year before D1; expect 1-2 week reply
Dr5paceman; (currently not available) Accepted class of 2021; some gap years before D1
LizLemongrab; Rising D3; very experienced in reading/editing PS and mentoring predents (also experienced in interview coaching)
Rand627; Accepted class of 2021; gap year before D1
Stanelz; Applying to ds

**If it is noted that a reader is unavailable, DO NOT PM THEM about your personal statement at this time.**
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's take a page from pre-allo and come up with a list of people who are willing to look over personal statements for this upcoming cycle.

The way they've done it, is that volunteers post with their status (pre-dental, applying this cycle, accepted, dental student, dentist, etc) and are added to a master list (which I can update on this original post).

Some additional things I think it would be helpful for applicants to know (so that they can better find a reader who closely matches their own experience) are: do you have DA experience? nontrad? career changer? do you have experience being a re-applicant? any writing/editing experience? (other suggestions?)

For Readers (adapted from pre-allo thread):
  • If you would like to be added, deleted or temporarily removed from the list, just post here or PM me.
  • This is on a volunteer basis, if you ask for any type of compensation for your services you will be removed from this list.
  • DO NOT share ANY PART of someone's PS with anyone else without the writer's permission.
Let me know if you have any suggestions, will be updating this post later

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am available if anyone needs a look but not in school at this time just fyi.

That is a nice idea, thanks for that I'll definitely need someone to read my ps at some point in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mind reading over personal statements. If I had this when I was writing I would have saved a ton from paying for editors.

I can read a few, all I am doing is working. Just accepted at OSU, about 8 months out of undergrad.

I'll read some when I have time. Accepted multiple schools this cycle. Gap year before starting D1.

Hi all,
Thanks for starting this thread. I'd appreciate someone looking over my PS. I'm a nontraditional applicant (Army then College) and first time dental school applicant. I've been going a bit crazy looking at too many tips/advice on what a PS should consist of. I'm seeking someone with a somewhat similar background to myself that could provide feedback.

Im available to read over Personal Statements. Just make sure you give it to more than just me as its good to have 2+ qualified people to read through your PSs

-Fyz

I'm currently mentoring about 10 pre-dental students at my undergraduate college. I graduated Spring of 2016 and took a gap year to apply, go on 4 vacations (more to come), and continue working with the American Red Cross. Most of the pre-dental students I am currently mentoring are applying for this upcoming application cycle. I contact them via text and email only.

I can help read personal statements or give constructive advice. I have only applied to NYU, Buffalo, Touro and Stony Brook the past application cycle. I was accepted to all of the previously mentioned dental schools except for Stony Brook, which is still waitlisted till this point.

I will only be accepting requests via private message on SDN and from there I can provide my email address.

Please take me off this list... I'm unable to find time to correct PS... :(

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 users
Due to the number of personal statement requests, I would like to let everyone know expect 1-2 week reply. I am very thorough with my advice and edits. Some personal statements may require a huge overhaul and I will need more time than anticipated.

As a result, I will try my best to get back to you all in a timely manner.

Regards,
DOC YANKEM

Reactions: 1 users
Due to the number of personal statement requests, I would like to let everyone know expect 1-2 week reply. I am very thorough with my advice and edits. Some personal statements may require a huge overhaul and I will need more time than anticipated.

As a result, I will try my best to get back to you all in a timely manner.

Regards,
DOC YANKEM
^^Same, I'm averaging about a 1-2 week turnaround at the moment.

Readers Available (PM them directly):

amariesa; Applying to ds
DOC YANKEM; Accepted class of 2021; experienced in mentoring pre-dents; gap year before D1
Dr5paceman; Accepted class of 2021; some gap years before D1
LizLemongrab; Rising D3; very experienced in reading/editing PS and mentoring predents (also experienced in interview coaching)
Rand627; Accepted class of 2021; gap year before D1
Roy Williams; Accepted class of 2021; gap year before D1
Stanelz; Applying to ds

**If it is noted that a reader is unavailable, DO NOT PM THEM about your personal statement at this time.**
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's take a page from pre-allo and come up with a list of people who are willing to look over personal statements for this upcoming cycle.

The way they've done it, is that volunteers post with their status (pre-dental, applying this cycle, accepted, dental student, dentist, etc) and are added to a master list (which I can update on this original post).

Some additional things I think it would be helpful for applicants to know (so that they can better find a reader who closely matches their own experience) are: do you have DA experience? nontrad? career changer? do you have experience being a re-applicant? any writing/editing experience? (other suggestions?)

For Readers (adapted from pre-allo thread):
  • If you would like to be added, deleted or temporarily removed from the list, just post here or PM me.
  • This is on a volunteer basis, if you ask for any type of compensation for your services you will be removed from this list.
  • DO NOT share ANY PART of someone's PS with anyone else without the writer's permission.
Let me know if you have any suggestions, will be updating this post later
Hey man, I'm sorry but can you take me off this list? I'm just getting so many PM's I can't get back to anybody in a timely manner, and I don't think that's fair to them with the application opening soon.

To those of you that have already sent me your PS, I will get back to you. I will, however, not be accepting new messages.

Thanks for understanding.

As the upcoming dental application quickly approaches, I will be spending more time in reading personal statements THIS WEEK. Stay calm and be patient. Trust the system and you are still early in the process of applying in the first batch. ;)

Good evening everybody, I am re-applying this cycle and would really appreciate any of your advice. Some background on me,I applied to medical school senior year but did not get accepted. I then started volunteering as a dental assistant at my university and I fell in love with dentistry. I applied to dental school the following year and got waitlisted at 1 school. Since the spring, I've been shadowing dentists around town to gain more experience. If anybody has similar experiences and has the time to look over my PS, that would be amazing. Please let me know or PM me, thank you

I am taking a short break from reading personal statements. Everyone who privately messaged me prior to today will get a reply by Saturday morning. I am trying my best to help everyone fairly with the amount of free time I currently have.