Personal Statement to be sent with LOR forms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJWxMan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick Q to those in the know. I am applying psych and I have three letters of recommendation to be completed by three psychiatrist; all who know me quite well. Is it safe to mail to them my resume and grades only or should I also send them a personal statement? My personal statement is not quite complete and I rather get ahead of the game at this point in terms of the LOR's. Also, should I be capitalizing the word 'psychiatry'? I'm always scared that I will offend someone through the details of this process.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick Q to those in the know. I am applying psych and I have three letters of recommendation to be completed by three psychiatrist; all who know me quite well. Is it safe to mail to them my resume and grades only or should I also send them a personal statement? My personal statement is not quite complete and I rather get ahead of the game at this point in terms of the LOR's. Also, should I be capitalizing the word 'psychiatry'? I'm always scared that I will offend someone through the details of this process.

Letter writers who do not know you well often find a personal statement (rough draft, final version, whatever) to be helpful.

Best,
-AT.

Three out of four people I've asked for LORs have asked for a rough draft of my personal statement. Hopefully this will be the kick in the pants I need to just write the darn thing.