Personal Statement too long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

x17lilac17x

Sun Devil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if it would be bad if my personal statement was longer than requested by the school. MCPHS asks for a 500 word essay and mine is about 750. Should I cut it down?
 
I'm not applying to MCPHS, but in general I think if a school asks for a 500 word paper, give them a 500 word paper +/- 50 words or so..

Some schools look at not only how you write the paper, but how well you follow their instructions
 
My school asked for 250 words. I wrote 611, which was one full page typed. I did not want to have a two page statement. They still accepted me, even though I went way past what they asked for. I guess each school looks at it differently.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if it would be bad if my personal statement was longer than requested by the school. MCPHS asks for a 500 word essay and mine is about 750. Should I cut it down?

I think you should call MCPHS and make sure.. I went over the limit by like 50 words and they said that should be okay.