Personal Statement Topic advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

So I have been reading about personal statements, and have seen that you dont want it to be a "sob" story. What exactly does that mean? All through my schooling I had a medical condition that sometimes prevented me from achieving academically. I would like to write about my battle through it. Is this an appropriate topic or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends any topic must be written appropriately

Is this a medical condition? How has it affected your passion for medicine?

You can write about it in terms of how it led you to medicine or how you strongly fought through it and learned something from it... But under no circumstance can you blame it for all your failures that I failed x class because of this thing.

It depends any topic must be written appropriately

Is this a medical condition? How has it affected your passion for medicine?

You can write about it in terms of how it led you to medicine or how you strongly fought through it and learned something from it... But under no circumstance can you blame it for all your failures that I failed x class because of this thing.

Of course I wouldnt do that. I just wasnt sure if it was appropriate or not. Yes, its a medical condition

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above statement. Additionally, you can use it in your first paragraph or two, but the theme of your paper should be why you are interested in becoming a doctor. Be sure to include other experiences as well, such as shadowing, volunteering in a hospital, or whatever has motivated you to pursue medicine.

I agree with the above statement. Additionally, you can use it in your first paragraph or two, but the theme of your paper should be why you are interested in becoming a doctor. Be sure to include other experiences as well, such as shadowing, volunteering in a hospital, or whatever has motivated you to pursue medicine.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I needed.