personal statement topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_khushipatel

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m a reapplicant and was hoping for some help regarding a confusion I have about my personal statement this cycle. So for last cycle, in my PS I wrote about how when I was little my aunt got an implant and that was kinda the first exposure to the dental field for me and wrote about how years later I researched abt what exactly an implant it and esthetics and stuff. Now the biggest mistake I did was that I wrote about that because I thought that the real reason (which is the extreme lack of oral health education while growing up resulted in me never getting a cleaning in my life) would be too cliche. But this year, I actually want to write about that because that’s what’s really gonna pull my story through. However the issue is that in reality I got my first every cleaning last year which is way after I decided I wanted to become a dentist. Does that sound sketchy to the schools? It’s not meant to be sketchy at all because the only reason I never got a cleaning was that 1) we had no education about getting our teeth cleaned where I grew up. And 2) when we moved to America, we could not afford to get a cleaning for the longest time which is until last year! I want to talk about how I was starting to realize and educate my self of dentistry and attended a few college orientations and stuff but even then we couldn’t afford to go to a dentist. My biggest motivation to pursue dentistry is being able to educate people on how important it is to have oral health education and also help the gap and disparity in the affordability of dental care. So in short, does it sound weird/sketchy to say how I even got into dentistry without having ever been to the dentist ?

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest motivation to pursue dentistry is being able to educate people on how important it is to have oral health education and also help the gap and disparity in the affordability of dental care. So in short, does it sound weird/sketchy to say how I even got into dentistry without having ever been to the dentist ?
The story is fine if it supports your motivation. Just make sure everything else in your essay supports your point.

Members don't see this ad :)
The story is fine if it supports your motivation. Just make sure everything else in your essay supports your point.

I just don’t want the admissions to think about 1) why I didn’t write about it last year and 2) be skeptical about my intention/motivation to get into dental school by thinking that I didn’t even know what dentistry looked like as I had never been to the dentist. Although I did shadow as I grew more educated about the oral health education. I just did not get a cleaning for myself.

I don't think it sounds sketchy, just outline what you have said here and I think admissions will understand what you were trying to convey.

I just don’t want the admissions to think about 1) why I didn’t write about it last year and 2) be skeptical about my intention/motivation to get into dental school by thinking that I didn’t even know what dentistry looked like as I had never been to the dentist. Although I did shadow as I grew more educated about the oral health education. I just did not get a cleaning for myself. I know it sounds weird to be in a field when you’ve never experienced it but that’s my reality! That’s why I was stressing out so much

I just don’t want the admissions to think about 1) why I didn’t write about it last year and 2) be skeptical about my intention/motivation to get into dental school by thinking that I didn’t even know what dentistry looked like as I had never been to the dentist. Although I did shadow as I grew more educated about the oral health education. I just did not get a cleaning for myself. I know it sounds weird to be in a field when you’ve never experienced it but that’s my reality! That’s why I was stressing out so much
1) Where did you apply last year?
2) This is why you should have many people including your dentists read your PS.