Personal Statement Typo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmalki75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in my PS, I had written "I am confident that my with my work ethic I will bring nothing but positivity....." and submitted.

I had four different people look over it and I guess nobody caught it. I've spoken to many people and they've told me not to worry about it. Is this a concern?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really, no. Most personal statements are read through quickly and the mistake probably won't even get noticed, but even if it did it's just a typo. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I realized I had added a word to my PS. My GPA wasn't verified yet so afte calling them, they unsubmitted my app, I fixed that mistake an then resubmitted. I assume this would be a lot more difficult if your GPA is verified but you can give them a call

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If this makes you feel better, I actually just caught my typo too in my personal statement and it said "for patients to quickly recover to health." Additionally I put "Universtiy." I died a little inside, but I'm trying to get over it

If it makes you feel better when I read through the typo I didn't notice it even tho it was bolded until I reread it looking for the typo. Brains huh

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
The origin of that typo (during the editing process) is pretty obvious, so if noticed, that one is easily forgivable. It's not blatant and clearly not out of ignorance.

It's widely recommended on the pre-med forum to absolutely NOT re-read your PS after you submit for exactly this reason. Once it's too late, it's too late, and the only thing re-reading will do is make you nervous or make you cringe...

Reactions: 8 users
If this makes you feel better, I actually just caught my typo too in my personal statement and it said "for patients to quickly recover to health." Additionally I put "Universtiy." I died a little inside, but I'm trying to get over it
It's rough out here fam

Some of my secondary essays had typos, but I still got interviews. You'll be fine :)

Clarity and directness are so important! @The Flossopher is so right that your essay will be 'skimmed' more than perused, so complicated sentence constructions, even when grammatically correct, can easily backfire on you. Strive for readability over elegance.

I realized I had added a word to my PS. My GPA wasn't verified yet so afte calling them, they unsubmitted my app, I fixed that mistake an then resubmitted. I assume this would be a lot more difficult if your GPA is verified but you can give them a call
Can I ask what you said to them? I am not verified yet and I would love to be able to fix a few things