Personal Statement vs. Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NBCDTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you think is more important. I have heard and would figure that Personal Statements are far more important, yet interviews come only after secondaries are read. Does the PS only take you so far until secondaries carry you on to interviews, or does the PS hold much more value?

Members don't see this ad.

Which do you think is more important. I have heard and would figure that Personal Statements are far more important, yet interviews come only after secondaries are read. Does the PS only take you so far until secondaries carry you on to interviews, or does the PS hold much more value?

everything is important. put all your effort into EVERYTHING

IMHO, the personal statement is probably "worth" more than secondaries assuming that you have written a good personal statement. Interviews come after secondaries because well, its mostly about the $$ they collect from secondaries. As for secondaries carrying you on (for those with essays), I believe to conjecture which one is more important to garner an interview is a moot point because one really cannot function solo without the other. In my opinion, I tend to believe that personal statements carry you alot further because there are many schools out there which don't have secondary essays, or give out secondaries (such as UNC) as an interview invite. For schools with secondary essays, you could have an average PS with a good secondary and vice versa and be able to get an interview. If one is glaringly bad, I imagine that it will hurt your chances in total. IMHO, I see secondaries more as a supplement to the solid foundation your AMCAS brings, but to make this as broad generalization is probably an unfair one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are competing against some of the best students in the entire country, everything is important. Every part of your application has to be your best effort. If it isn't, you will get your butt kicked. So don't worry about what part of the application is the most important, kick butt on the whole thing or kiss your Mum hello because you will not be in med school next year and you will have lots of time to take mum out for lunch. And yes, we all love our mums. And God Bless Queen Elizabeth. And I, for one, respect Tony Blair.

I heard the PS isn't as important as you think it is. Mostly it is used to figure out your not an ass or weirdo.

Interviews come after secondaries because well, its mostly about the $$ they collect from secondaries.

:thumbup: The schools probably didn't like being cut out of the money train by AMCAS