1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Personal Statement...where did you get your help/pointers from?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by crhoody12, Mar 1, 2007.

1. crhoody12

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Hey all, I'm a virgin to this whole posting a thread thing so this is my coming out party and hopefully I do it right. My question is regarding the personal statement. Who did you get help from in terms of having it reviewed for the content aspect? I know each persons statement is individual and has its own defining characteristics to why you want to be a dentist, but I want to make sure mine is I guess "good" as a statement. I've had my schools Health Professions director read it but she's brand new and isn't much into the whole Dental Application game. I don't want to go a head and start working on cutting characters and having grammar checked by teachers until I know the content is there. Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone would be willing to give my paper a quick once over for some feedback/advice, it would be even more appreciated (if thats acceptable). Thanks. Love this site.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Depending on the school, sometimes ADCOMs visit our school and talk about personal statement writing...so that is a lot of where I got my info on what I should write about. Some of those ADCOMs were also nice enough to give out their contact info and although I never asked them to read my essay, I know of quite a few people who have had ADCOMs read their essays before they ever finished.

You might also consider asking your dentist or a dentist that you shadow to read the essay and/or fellow predents at your school.

I'm more than happy to read an essay if you PM me. I do it for the premeds and predents at my school all the time.

4. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Look and see if you have a pre-health committee at your school, they can help.

5. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Try the search function. This thread comes up frequently.