SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Personal Statement...where did you get your help/pointers from?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by crhoody12, Mar 1, 2007.

1. crhoody12

crhoody12 5+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hey all, I'm a virgin to this whole posting a thread thing so this is my coming out party and hopefully I do it right. My question is regarding the personal statement. Who did you get help from in terms of having it reviewed for the content aspect? I know each persons statement is individual and has its own defining characteristics to why you want to be a dentist, but I want to make sure mine is I guess "good" as a statement. I've had my schools Health Professions director read it but she's brand new and isn't much into the whole Dental Application game. I don't want to go a head and start working on cutting characters and having grammar checked by teachers until I know the content is there. Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone would be willing to give my paper a quick once over for some feedback/advice, it would be even more appreciated (if thats acceptable). Thanks. Love this site.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Dallas
    Depending on the school, sometimes ADCOMs visit our school and talk about personal statement writing...so that is a lot of where I got my info on what I should write about. Some of those ADCOMs were also nice enough to give out their contact info and although I never asked them to read my essay, I know of quite a few people who have had ADCOMs read their essays before they ever finished.

You might also consider asking your dentist or a dentist that you shadow to read the essay and/or fellow predents at your school.

I'm more than happy to read an essay if you PM me. I do it for the premeds and predents at my school all the time.

4. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    Look and see if you have a pre-health committee at your school, they can help.

5. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Try the search function. This thread comes up frequently.