Personal Statement (Yes, another one)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel if this affected your life greatly, okay i know having 1 kidney is greatly, but if it affected your decision to become a doctor or maybe gives you some kind of drive, or just anything related medical other than saying, "i can't filter my blood as fast", is fine.

and subsequent poster, can we try to be nice

Just stating that you did something like that, and hoping it will make a difference in the application process will do you no good. You'll have to relate it to how it will make you a better physician, and how it has led you to a career path in medicine.

Otherwise, they'll just say "Gosh, people will do anything to get into medical school!".

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you describe this event in such a moving way that it will make adcoms believe that your donating this kidney motivated you to pursue medicine? The selflessness, the helping of others, the actual physiology & medicine behind the process..?

If you feel like you'd have to make anything up to answer yes, then I would advise you to not use it.

I suppose I can describe how I volunteered for my cities chapter of the national kidney foundation, and writing an article for my university paper on the benefits of organ donation. I am also in the process of organizing a donation drive on campus

I really do apprecite the constructive criticism.
I was more curious if I should just focus on those things, and avoid even mentioning donating.

Like everyone else has said - if you can relate it to your drive and passion to be a doctor (and it sounds like you can as it seems to be the start that led to many of your other related activities) then you should mention it.

Do be careful though - an interviewer might ask if its true. I had someone question a part of my personal statement. It had never even occurred to me someone would doubt it was true - once I explained it she believed me, but it was a bit surprising to have someone say "Did X really happen? No Way!"

I suppose it might be unprofessional to pull down my pants and show the scar if that happens
:D

I suppose it might be unprofessional to pull down my pants and show the scar if that happens

you can be preparded by taking a picture hehe j/m

You can probably leave out that you are a living kidney donor