This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mroerdh22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I will be applying in June of 2016. My goal for Christmas break is to get myself organized to make it all as painless as possible come June, amidst school and work. Ha.

Any advice on writing a personal statement? I am a dental hygienist (5 years post school) who has worked private practice and volunteered over the last 5 years for three trips to Romania to provide needed dental work/care. I returned back to school a little over year ago upon the return from my 2nd trip and will receive a second bachelor's degree in Biology (first one, obviously, is a BSDH).

How beneficial is it to focus on my hygiene background? I am proud of it but I don't want to overuse it. I feel a bit lost when it comes to putting exactly how I got to this point into words, as it is many years in the making. Also, I have read some personal statements that are more in a story form rather than just a cut and dry informative summary of their journey. What is best? Any resources you found helpful in deriving your personal statement?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that the personal statements written in story form is a better format than cut and dry 'Here is what I did. This is where I am. There you go." That's what the application's for, isn't it? They already know what extracurriculars you were involved in, what research you did, what volunteer experiences you helped with, etc. It's all listed on there, so try not to be repetitive. Many people have probably done X, Y, and Z, but what's going to differentiate you from the entire applicant pool is your story. They must read so many essays that probably sound all the same being so bone-dry, so might as well make yours unique and become a story teller. Engage the audience, use details, and be selective in word choice because you have to be under a certain limit of characters.The personal statement is your chance to show admissions what doesn't show on your application and to let your personality shine through your words. Show them how you got to where you are, not tell. That's my advice :)

This isn't particular to dental school (it's for medical school), but regardless of what it's for, all the points made still apply to any personal statement. There's a part 2 and 3 as well. I found it useful for motivation and inspiration! http://www.studentdoctor.net/2013/06/mastering-the-medical-school-personal-statement-part-1/

Also, @irishmom was a hygienist before she became a dentist as well. Maybe she can help you?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with artichoke above, I think a chronological essay explaining your story and reason for dentistry is best. I would definitely mention how being a hygienist has impacted you to go to dentistry and why you're choosing to leave it. I say create a little outline of your achievements (1st degree, hygienist, romania, 2nd degree, etc) in chronological order and write a "story" that just flows together. And don't be afraid to put a little of your personality in there.

My goal was to work on it during winter break too...I failed so hard lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with artichoke above, I think a chronological essay explaining your story and reason for dentistry is best. I would definitely mention how being a hygienist has impacted you to go to dentistry and why you're choosing to leave it. I say create a little outline of your achievements (1st degree, hygienist, romania, 2nd degree, etc) in chronological order and write a "story" that just flows together. And don't be afraid to put a little of your personality in there.

My goal was to work on it during winter break too...I failed so hard lol

+1 to this approach.

Thank you for your input and replies! I really appreciate it! :)