Personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. N

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone used one of those "essay polishing companies"undefined? I do not mean that they write essay for you, only polish and make it look great. Any advice? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have writing tutors? They're free.

yes, CU has tutors but I want pearson who will really put his/her time into my work

Members don't see this ad :)
What school do you go to (CU?)?

I wouldn't but that's just me.

My best strategy has been to have my father read my work and edit to what he thinks is good--I take what he gave me and rework my work. From there, I send it to a friend who LOVES and is really good at writing/making things sound great. He edits it, highlighting what he edited (gramatical, spelling) and putting in another font color for his suggestions (it's done via the internet in Word since he's in Texas). Fix it again. By that time it's pretty polished. Majority of the time I take it to a normal person, who isn't a big lit/english fan and see what they think.

My father and friend know my style well, and mesh well with me. I can't deal with people who can't e on the came wavelength as me when editing my work!!!!! Giving it to other people who don't (ie English/grammer classes) end up messing with the vision and point of my work.

Plus, my friend and father do free labor :D

-Liz

you can also utilize ample resources here in sdn.
there are alot of helpful people willing to help you out with personal statement. myself included.

i think there were a huge list of people willing to proofread personal statements posted some time ago.

many of them were very qualified, and successful applicants who have been accepted to several excellent schools.

good luck.

cy.

Are there any professors or advisors you would trust with this task? For example, one of the professors who wrote one of my LORs was formerly on UF's admissions committee, and was willing to help with my personal statement. If you can find a resource like that, it's a huge help.

courtyard said:
you can also utilize ample resources here in sdn.
there are alot of helpful people willing to help you out with personal statement. myself included.

i think there were a huge list of people willing to proofread personal statements posted some time ago.

many of them were very qualified, and successful applicants who have been accepted to several excellent schools.

good luck.

cy.

but is it safe to let people here to read your PS?

Dr. N said:
but is it safe to let people here to read your PS?

YES IT IS. Many have done it, many have succeeded.

I was going to say - there is this free PS reading/help service called SDN. There is a thread full of people willing to read statements. you can look through that list and find someone that fits yoru background. Good Luck. And of course, take anyone's recommendatios with a grain of salt. after all, it is you that knows yourself best.

Does your school have a pre-med comittee? We were all assigned a faculty advisor at the beginning of the year, and we met with them maybe half a dozen times. They got to know us so they could represent us when the comittee met, and they helped with our personal statement. I got lots of good info from them.

I also 'swap' personal statements with friends who are applying to med school with me. Sometimes it's good advice, sometimes its not (re: the comment about people who just have different styles above). But in the aggregate, I get a feel how others are reading it when they see it THE FIRST TIME (That's the only time ADCOMs are going to see it). After you read it more than a few times - whether you are the writer or a friend looking at it over and over, you are reading it on a different level.

Good Luck

There are lots of editing services out there, and yes, there are lots of applicants that use them successfully. The reputable ones will NOT write your essay for you, but they will help you develop a compelling strategy for your personal statement and subsequent secondary essays as well as polish your writing.

One advantage of using these services (over friends, profs, or school services) is that the editors often have more comprehensive insights into what the admissions committees are looking for. The disadvantage is, of course, the cost - these services can be expensive. But for many people, they're worth it.

I'd definitely encourage you to check out the free resources that editing services offer. There are lots at Accepted.com, and other companies like EssayEdge also offer all sorts of free advice.

Good luck!

I had a friend who paid a company to have her PS edited; she was disappointed because they basically put in some comas and that was about it. I (and many of my friends) swapped essays, got advice from our premed committee, and used our school's English Writing Center. We were very proud of our essays (and I think we all got in). I hear a lot of people saying that they wouldn't use the English center b/c they dont understand what the adcom wants etc. but I was actually surprised to find that the center helped out on essays for med school all the time and had some really great ideas. One of the tutors was even applying himself and was extremely helpful. If I were you, I would check out your free services first and then if you arent satisfied, check out the paid services. Either way, good luck.

Cydney Foote said:
There are lots of editing services out there, and yes, there are lots of applicants that use them successfully. The reputable ones will NOT write your essay for you, but they will help you develop a compelling strategy for your personal statement and subsequent secondary essays as well as polish your writing.

One advantage of using these services (over friends, profs, or school services) is that the editors often have more comprehensive insights into what the admissions committees are looking for. The disadvantage is, of course, the cost - these services can be expensive. But for many people, they're worth it.

I'd definitely encourage you to check out the free resources that editing services offer. There are lots at Accepted.com, and other companies like EssayEdge also offer all sorts of free advice.

Good luck!

yes, I think that what I need. I have my personal statement ready, but I would like to receive comments from professionals. I already got comments from some of my friends and people whos commetns and
opinion I value. Advisors and professors do not put as much time in reading your personal statement as people who get paid for it. So thanks for advice and web address.

Dr. N said:
yes, I think that what I need. I have my personal statement ready, but I would like to receive comments from professionals. I already got comments from some of my friends and people whos commetns and
opinion I value. Advisors and professors do not put as much time in reading your personal statement as people who get paid for it. So thanks for advice and web address.
unfortunately the people here on sdn can do a much better job for free.

jlee9531 said:
unfortunately the people here on sdn can do a much better job for free.

so who are these people?

Dr. N said:
...I already got comments from some of my friends and people whos commetns and
opinion I value...

Hmmmm. What are you trying to say about SDN?

they all got accepted...they have left little blurbs about themselves. you can choose who you feel more comfortable with.

depends. can you handle criticism well? but id just send it to a random sampling of people and not just one off the list.

rgporter said:
Hmmmm. What are you trying to say about SDN?

what do you mean, I did not mention SDN in that message. I let my friends read PS (they are not part of SDN)

Dr. N said:
what do you mean, I did not mention SDN in that message. I let my friends read PS (they are not part of SDN)
Sorry, it was a lame attempt at humor.

In response to your orriginal question, I would post your PS with a solicitation for help on SDN. I only used family and friends to help me with mine and I feel like it was the weakest part of my application.
Not only are there people with amazing writing skills on SDN, most have been through the application process (quite a few sucsessfully) so they can offer insight on what may be good content to add in addition to fixing your grammar.

rgporter said:
Sorry, it was a lame attempt at humor.

In response to your orriginal question, I would post your PS with a solicitation for help on SDN. I only used family and friends to help me with mine and I feel like it was the weakest part of my application.
Not only are there people with amazing writing skills on SDN, most have been through the application process (quite a few sucsessfully) so they can offer insight on what may be good content to add in addition to fixing your grammar.

post? I am still kind of nervous about safety of this. I would love to get comments and can take critics, but there are no guaranties....