personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ut_stephen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I begin my personal statement? I was thinking about using a creative, catchy beginning that started with action, but I don't know if that's become too cliche. If I began in a more straightforward manner, would that be more genuine?

How are yall starting yours?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I would just start writing and get the bulk of the essay done well. Then deal with the opening and closing-- it will change anyway, especially once you have several people read it and get some feedback.
I think after having people read mine, I ended up rewriting the entire thing at least twice. It's a good process to go through-- you end up with a very polished product. Good for you for starting early! :thumbup:
ut_stephen said:
How should I begin my personal statement? I was thinking about using a creative, catchy beginning that started with action, but I don't know if that's become too cliche. If I began in a more straightforward manner, would that be more genuine?

How are yall starting yours?
:thumbup:

pretty much everyway to write a personal statement is cliche. some people write action and with a hook, others dive right in and are just straightforward. what matters more is HOW you write it and what your point is. writing action is tough, you want it to be crisp and concise, yet visual enough so your reader gets drawn in. not too much exposition, but yet you still have to have some kind of setup, whether in the beginning or the end.

i'd second duka's comments. just write and let it flow forth, and you will be happy with the results. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
how you write it does matter. You do want to hook them, your first line needs a powerful lead. All of us could write about the same topic, but it won't be the same essay. Some of us will suck, some will be okay and a few will be great.

So, how you write it can make a difference. Be creative, use your own voice, and keep it tight. Less is always more. If you are using narrative in your essay, don't tell us what happened, show us. Show don't tell will give us emobied action. This pulls the reader into the piece and it allows us to see you.

Avoid passive writing with phrases like, "He was walking." Make it, "He walked." Also vary the lengths of your sentences. Some people use only long drawn out sentences that seem to never end. Use short ones and long ones--mix it up. This will improve the pacing.

And believe it or not, this needs to follow a traditional format. You need a clear opening paragraph that introduces us to you, what you have to say, you should have a thesis, doesn't have to be direct, but implied like based on these experiences I immediately felt driven to.... The body should support this and the final paragrah should pull it all together.

Don't have a group of unrelated paragraphs. Also, you don't have to be crazy by messing with temporal relationships. Let the essay unfold in a chronological order. Be clear.

I started mine off, "SEX, DRUGS, AND VIOLENCE! Now that I have your attention....."

Try: Tears stream down my face as I strap on my prosthetic leg every morning and begin my journey from my orphanage to school every day...

Jubester3 said:
Try: Tears stream down my face as I strap on my prosthetic leg every morning and begin my journey from my orphanage to school every day...
bump, cause it made me laugh