Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libbylibs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my application for an MS from SPH at Uof Mich and I was just wondering if anyone had advice on personal statements. I have never really written one and I am wondering how "personal" people really get. Do you think schools care a lot about your writing talent (word choice, creativity, paragraph structure etc.) or is it more just to kind of figure out what you want to focus on in your studies...

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UMICH SPH last year and was accepted with a scholarship. I addressed three issues on my personal statement. One, I wrote about my past experience in the field of public health. Secondly, I explained why I want to go to UMICH. (Look at UMICH's current researches and see if your past experience can contribute to anything the school is doing). Lastly, I wrote about my career goals and how an education at UMICH would fulfill this goal.

Your writing talents play no part in your chances for acceptance as long as your ps can be understood.

BTW...i chose not to attend UMICH so I can't answer any specific questions relating to the school. But, if you need me to proofread your essays or something...let me know!!

I am a graduate of Michigan's program, and the one thing that I can offer in addition to what the stud had to say :) this institution values people that have a genuine interest in a public health career, even though they may not have the experience to show for it (as many students do not have experience as they apply to public health programs). I'm also wondering what program you're entering (since you stated that you're applying for the MS). If you have questions about the school, you can let me know, but I'm not sure how helpful I'll be since my degree was in Health Ed.