Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been wrestling with my personal statement and could use some help. If anyone would be willing, please send me a copy of yours from last year. I would like to compare, contrast, format, ect. ([email protected]) There is so much to say and I just want to make sure I do it right. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

new kid said:
I have been wrestling with my personal statement and could use some help. If anyone would be willing, please send me a copy of yours from last year. I would like to compare, contrast, format, ect. ([email protected]) There is so much to say and I just want to make sure I do it right. Thanks.

There is no right or wrong to the essay, it is just a way to express yourself why you want to become involved in the dental profession. Here, maybe this will give you some extra clarification:

Personal Statement/Essay

Your Applicant Essay provides an opportunity to explain why you desire to pursue a dental education. Your essay can not exceed 1,000 words. The Applicant Essay will be printed and distributed to the dental schools that you selected. Please print a copy of your applicant essay before you submit your application to AADSAS for your own records.

Your essay needs to be well thought out, concise, compelling and interesting to the reader. Remember, admissions officers read hundreds of personal essays, it will be important for you to keep in mind the following suggestions:

1) Start your essay with something that will grab the readers attention. Often personal anecdotes can help draw the reader into the essay and keep them reading.
2) Make the essay personal. Try not to simply repeat the information that can be read on your application. Provide the reader with an inside view on your thoughts, interests, and motivation to go into the dental profession.
3) Make your motivation and drive clear to the reader. The admissions officer wants to get a sense from the essay that you are extremely interested in dentistry and motivated to enter dental school.
4) Create a well-written document. Your essay is an sample of your writing abilities. It is important that you convey your thoughts clearly, grammatically correct, and effectively in your essay.

if you want to send me a copy of your personal essay- I can give you some pointers/opinion.

I don't mind taking a look at your essay. Feel free to PM it to me if you like, and I will promise you privacy.