personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone written a good personal statement that they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I'm going to write mine soon and wanted to see what a good one looks like :)

Members don't see this ad.

RLK said:
Has anyone written a good personal statement that they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I'm going to write mine soon and wanted to see what a good one looks like :)

Good luck getting folks to be that generous! :rolleyes: A friend of mine recommended How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for Graduate and Professional School by Stelzer. I haven't looked at it myself yet but she said it was good just to see the examples.

Members don't see this ad :)
RLK said:

TONS of advice to be found on these forums and on the net in general.

It's like a formula...plug in values for the below variables.

1st paragraph: Pharmacy is awesome, it's a great field, and I am interested in it (and in your school) for the following reasons: A, B, & C.
2nd paragraph: Explain reason A. You might use personal experience or a relevant story about a close friend/family member to illustrate your point. Or even a news story. Relate your work/life/volunteer experience, even if not directly related to pharmacy, to your reason A.
3rd, 4th paragraphs: Explain reasons B & C as you did reason A.
5th paragraph: wrap everything up, restate your thesis, reaffirm how great you are and how you are a good candidate for acceptance into their program.

TA DAA!

Do schools even really read your statements? I mean has anyone with good stats come across as so much of a dumb a$$ that they didnt invite them for an interview?

Yes, writing a personal statement is a pain in the rump. But if you cant tell others why you want to be a pharmacist you need to think about it a little harder.

try essay edge. i think there's a link in the FAQ's. it helped me a lot.