Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I am starting the application process for residency and was wondering if I could get some input regarding the personal statement portions. What type of information should be included? Should I make it based on personal experiences? Just put personal information? Should I try to be creative or keep it straightforward? Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

First paragraph: personal story about you as to how you were first introduced/first experienced anesthesia

Second paragraph: why you want to do anesthesia

Third paragraph: what skills you have that would make you a good anesthesiologist (a little tricky because you don't want to sound like you know what anesthesia is all about)

Fourth paragraph: what you are looking for in a program (its a pain in the ass, but I recommend personalizing each statement for each program - they were impressed with how I did it)

good luck

gaspasser2004 said:
Fourth paragraph: what you are looking for in a program (its a pain in the ass, but I recommend personalizing each statement for each program - they were impressed with how I did it)

good luck

Wow. How many programs did you apply to? I cant even seem to get A personal statement written, let alone 20.