Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvega13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice....

For most of my life I wanted to go to med school, and it wasn't until recently that I realized that medicine was not for me. Would it be okay to include this in my personal statement, or will it looked poorly upon by OD adcoms, casue OD is something new that I want to do (like since the last year).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that as long as OD isn't a cop out for you...i.e...you still want to be an MD but just couldn't get into a school, then you can play it off as a positive. However I think that if you really wanted to be a physcian you could have applied to DO schools which are about as competitive to enter as most OD schools. I was in the same boat and after a lot of time, research, and networking have come to the conclusion that OD is a better fit for me than MD. I could be an MD too but have chosen OD. Detail what you like about OD and your personal statement can be very powerful...afterall you've seen the world through many lenses (weren't always focused on OD soley) and now know what you want!

yeah, i was in a similar situation, but decided OD was the way for me. i have the marks to be competitive for medical school, but it wasn't what i wanted to do for the next 4 years of my life. i think you should be honest on your personal statement. it won't hurt you. good luck! :thumbup: