Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to write my personal statement (after my last final exam) and I wanted to get some advice on what to do regarding an explanation that I will have to put in my personal statement.

Here is the deal, I did really crappy early in my college career and now get nothing but A's type of candidate (my overall gpa will be a hair over 3.0). Part of the reason I did so bad early on was due to PTSD, although at the time I was completely ignorant as to what that was. I definitely do not want to come across as an excuse maker, but I am a terrible liar. I know that schools wanna know WHY I did so poorly early on, but if I tell them the truth I will come off as an excuse maker and if I lie they will be able to tell that I am lying (I am horrible at lying).

Any advice is appreciated, and advice from someone that knows the admissions process well is greatly appreciated along with advice from others that have been in analogous situations.

Members don't see this ad.

PTSD...from what?

INFNITE said:
PTSD...from what?

Could have been from one of a few EXTREMELY violent situations I was around as a young child (4-6). My parents went through an unusually nasty divorce and I witnessed things on these few occasions that most people on this board would probably not believe. I saw things that horrified me back than. One of these incidents I reacted in a way that children normally don't react in, like attacking one of my parents (the aggressor). I really don't want to get into much more detail then what I have already gone into on this, it is a fairly embarrasing personal situation.

i would spend most of your essay addressing the actual question, maybe put in a paragraph addressing your PTSD. some will advise you not to and say you should explain this in your interview, but you need to give the schools a reason to interview you, so explain your grades. also a thought, maybe cally our schools and ask if they'll except an extra statement about your grades to put in your file. if they except this, then write something brief and honest and send that along and then just write your statement normally.

best of luck.