Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorgirl_2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

there are samples on the web. i think from sdn itself. read those and get an idea what you want to say. Just don't copy them! :)

Definitely do what Dre said. Also in that First Aid for the Match there are numerous sample PS's that you can read.

Personally what I had done was read through a whole bunch of magazines. I found an author that had a creative approach to what he was trying to communicate. I then spinned of my PS from that. My suggestion is read medical stuff, but think back to when you were in college/high school and read some of that 'creative' writing. Remember reading those 'creative' pieces of work. Try to do that. Use imagery,etc. When we're med students and residents we are used to reading things that are very scientific and dogmatic. Pick a theme for PS and mold your PS around it.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your shoes last year. Read samples like everyone said. You can search google and find alot of good examples. After a while they all start to sound the same.

I used the following format, first paragraph--I introduced myself with something interesting, I talked about snowboarding. Second paragraph--How i decided on anesthesia/Why i like anesthesia. Third paragraph--my plans for the future and how anesthesia fits into that (i plugged my research interests). Fourth, i have a good personality/nice guy/hard working/interests outside medicine. Fifth--conclusion that ties it all together.

It must be less than 1 page, have your dean of student affairs critique it for you. I've been told that in general, boring is a safer bet, but I'm not sure I agree. A good number of my interviews started with questions about my person statement; about snowboarding or my research interests.

doctorgirl_2b said:
Hi everyone,

This question probably has been asked before; and I could not locate it on the FAQ's section. I have a lot of trouble writing a personal statement to apply to anesthesiology residency. (I think it's writers block!) Does anyone have any advice that can get me started? For the current residents, how did you go about writing your personal statement when you were applying? Thanks!! :confused:

Check out the PS section here