1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PyariPD, Mar 15, 2007.

1. PyariPD

Pre-Dental
    Hi. I was just wondering about the personal statement part of the application. Im a junior and im getting all my recs together and doing my classes but im stressing about this part because i havent even started. Do you guys have any advise on how to get started and anything else that may pertain to it. I know what i have to do, its just i dont have the time b/c of classes and all.

Thanks.

2. litldime

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would start asap... try to work on it at least 1 hour a day... I started working on mine yesterday and before long I had worked on it for 3 hours!...

I first read samples online and then I looked up different threads on personal statement on sdn...

I kinda know what I'm going to talk about so it wasn't too bad...

but its very hard when you have so much to say.

I did some free writing yesterday for about 45 mins...

I asked my self questions such as why do I want to become a dentist, what are my professional goals? ask yourself hard hitting questions and just write, you'll be surprised that you know the answer

I just wrote on those and found out that I had a lot to say..

that's pretty much what you need to do to get started...write...

its hard but you've gotta start... allot a time to work on it every day...hope this helps...
    -ld

3. OceanBlue

OceanBlue HA! I knew it.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    sit down...and just write it. Don't worry about grammar and spelling. Let it get cold (2 or 3 days), then come back and read it over. Next, fix it and move things around so it will flow. After that, read it and fix it again. Finally, go and see a professional writer (English professor, English tutor); sit down with her and let her read through it. She will give you comments/advices, and then you go home and fix it. After that, you go and see a dentist, let him/her read through it. Fix it accordingly. Finally, go and see another professional writer to clean up everything. Then, you're finished.:D

~That was how I rolled:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    PyariPD

Pre-Dental
    thank u guys very much. they're really good suggestions. im going to start to work on in moderation and hopefully ill be good :)

5. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I didnt spend much time on mine at all, but I did spread out the times that I actually looked at it. It will read a bit differently each time you read it, just allow time to make revisions. Ideas may pop into your head at odd times, jot them down and incorporate them. Don't kill yourself over it or let it cause much anxiety though...once you get to a point that you feel the statement is satisfactory, allow others to read it and critique it for you

6. OceanBlue

OceanBlue HA! I knew it.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yah...don't let your ego take over. Some of the comments i got for my 1st draft were pretty harsh, but I guess they're for your own good. They are good writers who are there to help, that's why I took their comments as a positive thing rather than a negative thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...