Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingdoctor13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, in terms of number of pages---how long can the personal statement be single spaced-assuming size 12 font?

Members don't see this ad.

If its longer than a page then you run the risk of someone not reading it, especially if its boring.

Keep it short, interesting, and unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the PS 5300 characters? So it ends up about 1.25 pages right?

If its longer than a page then you run the risk of someone not reading it, especially if its boring.

Keep it short, interesting, and unique.
:laugh: In my head, I just saw an adcom member tossing it aside saying, "TL;DR."

I wouldn't worry too much about folks saying you should make it even shorter than the allotted space. We have no idea (atleast I don't) what sort of format it ends up getting printed out in and handed to the adcoms. It could be that it starts halfway down some other page of information and will span two pages no matter how long it is. Alternatively it might print in smallish font with tiny margins and will fit onto a page so long as it is less than the allotted number of characters.

Doctors have based their careers on reading, if they have volunteered to read an app I don't think an extra paragraph is going to make them decide its not worth it.

I wouldn't worry too much about folks saying you should make it even shorter than the allotted space. We have no idea (atleast I don't) what sort of format it ends up getting printed out in and handed to the adcoms. It could be that it starts halfway down some other page of information and will span two pages no matter how long it is. Alternatively it might print in smallish font with tiny margins and will fit onto a page so long as it is less than the allotted number of characters.

Doctors have based their careers on reading, if they have volunteered to read an app I don't think an extra paragraph is going to make them decide its not worth it.

They don't always volunteer for this. Some actually don't really enjoy it. Many will skim the essay anyway. If they catch something interesting, they will read it awhile. It varies a lot.

Some won't read the PS at all.

They don't always volunteer for this. Some actually don't really enjoy it. Many will skim the essay anyway. If they catch something interesting, they will read it awhile. It varies a lot.

Some won't read the PS at all.

Well if you end up with someone like this I doubt shaving off a paragraph is going to help!