personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efh4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace a personal statement that has already been sent to programs? Will it just replace the old one if the programs have not printed out the personal statement yet? Any opinions on how this would appear to programs?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i understand, most programs havent printed out hard copies of stuff and many are just starting to look over applications. deassigning and reassigning a personal statement probably wont hurt you, in that 1. if they have printed out a hard copy, they probably arent going back through your computer file and thus will never see the new one and 2. if they havent printed out a hard copy, the new one WILL replace the old one (ERAS assigns only the one you tell them to, so if you change personal statements the PS they download will also change). So as far as I can tell, it wont hurt you any and might help if it is better. sounds like people go through the online applications a few times each.

So, ERAS does definitely replace the old personal statement with the new one if you deassign and reassign them?? Do you know how it appears to the programs when they upload? thanks, hopefully I didn't screw everything up by doing this!

from what I hear, many programs havent printed anything out yet, and when you deassign/reassign, it overwrites. assuming you are making stylistic changes, no one will notice. as far as how it would make you look, I doubt they notice and even if they printed out 2 copies, it isnt like it exposes some horrible character flaw(unless you are deleting the inspiring part about patching up T-Bone, Monster, and the rest of your gang after the prison brawls). Most applications arent even due yet. admittedly, this is totally blind applicant advising blind applicant.