Personal Statements for Prelim/TY programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

guitarguy23

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should these be oriented to the programs themselves (ie medicine prelim, ty, etc) or can I just use my ophtho PS with a little blurb at the end about the intern year program? I know this is talked about a bit, but I was confused recently-a medicine program director at our hospital stated that she gets very turned of by PS's that are obviously geared toward the specialty of choice (ophtho, anesthesia, rads...).

Should I be writing a seperate PS? Or one very prelim or TY oriented?
 
I used the exact same personal statement for ophtho and TYs, with minor changes. One last paragraph in my PS listed qualities I sought in an ophtho program. For TYs I changed this paragraph to reflect qualities I sought in a TY program. That's it.