Deciding on NYC programs to do an away at?

Started by wazir
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wazir

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently an M3 thinking of what away rotations to do. Most of my family lives in NYC, and I go to school at Einstein, so I would like to stay in the area if possible(although would be happy to match anywhere). I konw the advice is generally to do aways at lower tier, target programs, so I want to make sure I'm making the most of my aways. I'm thinking of doing one at SUNY downstate or Northwell, but was wondering if it would be worthwhile to do one at NYU or Cornell, which are considerably higher ranked. Any thoughts on maximizing my odds of matching?
 
This is something where the best knowledge is going to come from people still in the thick of things in NYC, not this forum. While you should be somewhat strategic in your aways, doing one at either of those institutions could improve your chances of going there. The more important thing is going to be fit, and that's how you should weigh your aways much more. That will be based on information you can glean from either residents at each respective program or from any advisors you have at Sinai/Einstein.