Personal Statements please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgtati

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have been accepted, can you send me your personal statements, I would like to use as a reference. Send to [email protected]. Thanks SDN'ers.

Members don't see this ad.

reference... you may have good intentions but I'm betting not to many people would feel comfortable sending you their personal statement just because the temptation to copy their statement and pass it off as your own. I know you may not do this but there are unscrupulous individuals out there that claim they have the best intentions and turn around and pass work off as their own. Sometimes I wonder if people take life stories from others to use because their own lives are boring. I would love to help you but I don't want my own PS stolen... worked too hard for someone to steal it, not saying you will but I have my doubts why not get the 101 essays that will get you into med school book at your local barnes and nobel

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnB79 said:
Sometimes I wonder if people take life stories from others to use because their own lives are boring.

"No... I'M the real J Peterman!"

--Cozmo Kramer

bgtati said:
For those of you who have been accepted, can you send me your personal statements, I would like to use as a reference. Send to [email protected]. Thanks SDN'ers.
ROTFLMAO... :smuggrin:

JohnB79 said:
I would love to help you but I don't want my own PS stolen... worked too hard for someone to steal it, not saying you will but I have my doubts why not get the 101 essays that will get you into med school book at your local barnes and nobel

ditto

just start writing down a few important ideas about yourself. Think about what makes you unique or special. I'm sure you'll come up with something good after a few drafts :luck:

doesnt amcas have some kinda database to track plagiarism? I would think so, and why try to play off experiences youve never had? youll have to talk about it in your interview

DrYo12 said:

YAY. I actually understand the abrreviation :laugh: now I just need to figure out what the HTY abrreviation means....

P.S. How are you doing DrYo?

damn, i hate these goodie-goodie's. If I applied and got in, I would not have a problem with giving someone my PS. Its all bullsh*t, the guy wants to be a doctor, why should something like this hold him back? I always give away my old tests, notes to underclassmen. You guys are too competitive.

Sorry, OP, but I agree in that most SDNers would be skeptical/hesitant to send you their personal statements...I know that I certainly am, even though your motives are probably truly genuine. If you go to one of the primary internet search engines (yahoo, google,etc.), I'm sure you'd be able to find sample personal statements that have been written by those already accepted to medical school.

If you need help with your personal statement, then I'm sure no one here on SDN would have a problem critiquing what you have written already :D

tinkerbelle said:
YAY. I actually understand the abrreviation :laugh: now I just need to figure out what the HTY abrreviation means....

P.S. How are you doing DrYo?
Hi tink! Things are excellent! No more classes for me, just workin' my butt off to get the unconditional acceptance at USUHS. How's life for you? We'll definintely have to keep in contact if you end up at Maryland!!

:love:
DrYo

There's a great book out there called "40 Essays that worked" or something like that. It's not an expensive book and it should help you get started.

Members don't see this ad :)
OrGoMan said:
damn, i hate these goodie-goodie's. If I applied and got in, I would not have a problem with giving someone my PS. Its all bullsh*t, the guy wants to be a doctor, why should something like this hold him back? I always give away my old tests, notes to underclassmen. You guys are too competitive.

First of all, OrGoMan, this has nothing to do with competitiveness. This has to do with the fact that the personal statement is just that personal, and sharing it with someone I don't even know is akin to asking me about whether I'm a virgin or not--its just nobody's business but my own.

Second of all, the personal statement isn't intended as something to hold someone back, its purpose is to provide an impression for the reviewers of the applications. If this person truly wants to portray his/herself to an admissions committee as themselves, then the writing needs to be uniquely theirs, as well as the sentiments, ideas, and experiences in the statement. This is not to say that people won't have suggestions, but it is futile to write a personal statement that is truly your own unless you start it off before including the influence of anyone else. When I wrote mine, I just wrote, and then edited later.

Thirdly, calling names will get you nowhere.

And for the record, I have allowed people to borrow every single notebook of a class that they have requested. I have shared papers and essays with people for longer than you've probably been in school. And people who TRULY know me, know that I will tell them anything they want to know about anything, no holds barred. Be careful what you say to people because you never know who they are and who or what they know...

If the OP really wants examples of personal statements, try finding one of the many anthologies of personal statements out there that include statements from people who have already agreed to let people see their personal statement.

OrGoMan said:

well no. I believe all personal statements are, Personal. ;)

WANTED: good mcat score (30+). willing to trade for personal statement even up. this personal statement has been hardly used with very few typos and one small coffee stain in corner. the personal statement is located in southern california, willing to ship if you pay. have had several offers, so hurry!

Its obvious the guy just wants to look at the format of a PS. No one in the right mind would copy it.

doogyhowser said:
WANTED: good mcat score (30+). willing to trade for personal statement even up. this personal statement has been hardly used with very few typos and one small coffee stain in corner. the personal statement is located in southern california, willing to ship if you pay. have had several offers, so hurry!

hahahaha! I enjoyed that :laugh:

OrGoMan said:
Its obvious the guy just wants to look at the format of a PS. No one in the right mind would copy it.

Well if hes looking for the format, look at any essay that has been written during your time at undergrad. Should go like this

Introduction
--Brief synopsis of what your going to talk about
Supporting Paragraph #1
--Supporting facts
Supporting paragraph #2
--supporting facts
Conclusion

Again go to the library, ask your premed advisor, search the internet. Its not hard to find examples out there in the wild. There is a thread here where people who are willing to read your personal statements I myself am one of them. Write a personal statement and submit it to someone on that thread. People will get back to you.

bgtati said:

I'll sell you my "Essays that will get you in medical school" book if you want. That's as far as I'd go. PM me if interested.

to the OP: if you're really looking or a reference or a "guide", then buy one of those "essays that will get you into med school" books. i don't own one so i cant really comment on how good the essays are but i know of people who used such books when they wrote their drafts.

Domitian said:
"No... I'M the real J Peterman!"

--Cozmo Kramer

"...the very pants I was about to return...Elaine, that's brilliant!"

- J. Peterman

Here:

Dear Emory University Medical School,
I believe that I would be a fine candidate at your medical school because I want to make people feel better about themselves and their bodies. I would tell them not to do drugs and don't have sex without having dire consequences like heragonylsyphilis and ebola. Not to mention influenza. I want to become a doctor because i want to be rich like the people on those television shows on tv, and drive around in a bmw.
I am pretty good-looking, and I feel as though I will look good in a white coat. I want to major in booby surgery, because I like inspecting boobies. But if that doesn't work out I plan to go either into ass-doctoring or proctology whatever its called.
I originally got my idea to become a doctor after realizing that i couldn't become a chemical engineer (I didn't like the idea of dissecting frogs and manipulating them like). I watch Emergency Room every signle day (yes you must be wondering how I do it but I bought the dvds), and i study the terminology every day. Well, not really, i just copy what they say and then i watch scrubs. Havey ou ever watched scrubs? its very funny. So is freaks and geeks. I like that very much.
Anyways, I feel as though I would be a good janitor at your medical school, wherever Emory is (its in Alabama or one of those confederate states).

Signed,
bgtati

I agree with UT-Lilly. I thumbed through a few of these books at Barnes and Noble, and the personal statements in them gave me a general idea of what the format/content/length was supposed to be like. I would share mine (if you could guarantee that there would be no plagiarism), but after looking at it so many times, I don't think it's really all that good to begin with. My advice: make your PS original--not weird original, but different original. Yes, this is much easier said than done....good luck with it!

loved how you threw the freaks and geeks reference in there considering it is not at all medical. what a great show!!!! I tried to buy or rent the dvds this weekend to show my mom an episode but none of the stores by my parents' place had copies.

Hermit MMood said:
Here:

Dear Emory University Medical School,
I believe that I would be a fine candidate at your medical school because I want to make people feel better about themselves and their bodies. I would tell them not to do drugs and don't have sex without having dire consequences like heragonylsyphilis and ebola. Not to mention influenza. I want to become a doctor because i want to be rich like the people on those television shows on tv, and drive around in a bmw.
I am pretty good-looking, and I feel as though I will look good in a white coat. I want to major in booby surgery, because I like inspecting boobies. But if that doesn't work out I plan to go either into ass-doctoring or proctology whatever its called.
I originally got my idea to become a doctor after realizing that i couldn't become a chemical engineer (I didn't like the idea of dissecting frogs and manipulating them like). I watch Emergency Room every signle day (yes you must be wondering how I do it but I bought the dvds), and i study the terminology every day. Well, not really, i just copy what they say and then i watch scrubs. Havey ou ever watched scrubs? its very funny. So is freaks and geeks. I like that very much.
Anyways, I feel as though I would be a good janitor at your medical school, wherever Emory is (its in Alabama or one of those confederate states).

Signed,
bgtati

someone mentioned this earlier, about boring lives and the need to steal more interesting ones, but what should one write about in a ps if one's life is void of anything intersting? I need LIFE EXPERIENCES, LIFE EXPERIENCES!

What I always found funny about essays is how much BS there's in it. Basically, it's supposed to show that you're unique, special, one of most-deserving human beings out there, blah, blah, blah. It could be just me, but I'm not anything special. And having seen over 2000 med students over this week-end (med games), I don't think anyone of them was ''special''. Back to more embryo...

Blake said:
What I always found funny about essays is how much BS there's in it. Basically, it's supposed to show that you're unique, special, one of most-deserving human beings out there, blah, blah, blah. It could be just me, but I'm not anything special. And having seen over 2000 med students over this week-end (med games), I don't think anyone of them was ''special''. Back to more embryo...

on a completely unrelated note (my sincerest apologies to the OP): Hey Blake!! How's med. school treating you?

the OP is not going to copy the PSs... come on! last year someone emailed me hers, and it was quite helpful. i didn't copy anything from it, but i did get a great idea of what to put in there.

docjolly said:
on a completely unrelated note (my sincerest apologies to the OP): Hey Blake!! How's med. school treating you?
It's treating me well. I'm currently studying some not-so-interesting stuff, but it'll be over in a few weeks, so until then, got to try my hardest to still be motivated. The good part is I got an A in the last exam, so it's all good :cool: ( we only had 2 so far, the next one being in April, yes you heard me, April :laugh:. My brain will reach higher levels of memory ;) )

OrGoMan said:

You'd be surprised what people would copy. After I applied to college, I posted all my personal statements to my website, reasoning that they were all so uniquely identifying (or frightening :D ) that nobody would have the cojones to plagiarize them. Wrong. After the next app cycle, a guy confessed that he swiped my main PS...the one about a rather hairy trip to Belarus (ex-Soviet dictatorship)...and turned it into a BAND TRIP. And sent it to Columbia. I went :confused: :eek: ...you did delete all references to the KGB, right?

It's not that I have a major hangup on ethics. But dangit, I suffered through writing that beast, and the younger generation should suffer too. Let them get their own interesting lives. :smuggrin:

Hermit MMood said:
Here:

I want to major in booby surgery, because I like inspecting boobies. But if that doesn't work out I plan to go either into ass-doctoring or proctology whatever its called.
bgtati

ass-doctoring, that's funny ****.

:thumbup:

Shaz said:
"...the very pants I was about to return...Elaine, that's brilliant!"

- J. Peterman

Now Elaine, that's creative writing! Call your friend and tell him we don't need his stories anymore.

To the OP, check out the book "Medical School Admissions" by Zebala, Jones, and Jones. It has 50 successful application essays with tips on what to do, and what NOT to do.

Some suggestions from the book:

-Have an internalized philosophy of medicine, or it will show in your essay and interview. Write about that philosophy. Make a good lead sentence to attract attention to the reader. Make sure the rest of the ssay follows that lead.

-"Brevity is the soul of wit." - Thoreau, the point of this quote is to be short, and to the point. Don't be too ostentatious.

-Be creative, not weird.

-Don't be apologetic, a narcissist, boring, or questionable.

Food for thought. Read the book, it'll help put things in perspective.

DrYo12 said:
First of all, OrGoMan, this has nothing to do with competitiveness. This has to do with the fact that the personal statement is just that personal, and sharing it with someone I don't even know is akin to asking me about whether I'm a virgin or not--its just nobody's business but my own.

Second of all, the personal statement isn't intended as something to hold someone back, its purpose is to provide an impression for the reviewers of the applications. If this person truly wants to portray his/herself to an admissions committee as themselves, then the writing needs to be uniquely theirs, as well as the sentiments, ideas, and experiences in the statement. This is not to say that people won't have suggestions, but it is futile to write a personal statement that is truly your own unless you start it off before including the influence of anyone else. When I wrote mine, I just wrote, and then edited later.

Thirdly, calling names will get you nowhere.

And for the record, I have allowed people to borrow every single notebook of a class that they have requested. I have shared papers and essays with people for longer than you've probably been in school. And people who TRULY know me, know that I will tell them anything they want to know about anything, no holds barred. Be careful what you say to people because you never know who they are and who or what they know...

If the OP really wants examples of personal statements, try finding one of the many anthologies of personal statements out there that include statements from people who have already agreed to let people see their personal statement.

I totally agree, i for one mr.OrGoMan do not want you knowing all the freaky shiat details of my life - my manner of voulenteering cleaning up exclusive beaches is none of your business, neither is my self-proclaimed mission of beautifying places with my presence. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just sit down and write it! If it sucks, write another one. If you can't write about the experiences that have drawn you to medical school for a page or two, then how in the hell are you going to do it off the cuff in an interview. If you don't have to write it for a while, make it something you constantly think about so you can reflect upon your own intentions and come up with good ideas. Thats what I did and by the time it was due, writing it was not a problem. Just keep in mind that these people read thousands of these things so refrain from telling them boring lame lines about how you want to be a doctor to "help" people. Isn't that what everyone wants to do? I'm sure they already realize that. SHOW them you are genuine through experiences etc. Remember "TALK IS CHEAP!"

DrYo12 said:

Please also include SSN, a major credit card number and your checking account & routing number :horns:

Docta "O" said:
someone mentioned this earlier, about boring lives and the need to steal more interesting ones, but what should one write about in a ps if one's life is void of anything intersting? I need LIFE EXPERIENCES, LIFE EXPERIENCES!

A good writer can turn a super boring experience into something interesting and fun to read... it's all about how you phrase things. Just start brainstorming and writing down random ideas, and eventually you'll be able to pull them together. My pre-med office made me write i biography about my life... and that sorta helped b/c I had to think about what was important and how i got to where i was. Try it if you're stuck and can't think of anything interesting. Eventually something cool will pop into your head.

There is at least one book I can think of and you can also check out medfools.com for both good and bad PS.

bgtati said:

0764120298.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg