Personal Statements

Started by DrRae
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrRae

DrRae
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok guys. I need to start working on my personal statement so that I have plenty of time to write it, review it, and have others review it. I won't be applying until next year, but I want plenty of time to change it etc... Anyhow does anyone have any ideas, personal experience? I know the general format of the statement, so if possible I'd like specific instances etc.. Thanks in advance.
DrRae
 
I wrote my personal statement kind of like a narrative of my experiences and how that shaped my decision to apply to vet school. I was sort of a non-tradtional student, and I used the statement to explain certain aspectes of my application that would not be explained with just the VMCAS application. I used the space to tie in all my academic and work experiences and showed how they all related to the goal of becoming a veterinarian. It wasn't easy, but I think it was convincing enough.
Things to definitely avoid would be "I love animals", "I've always wanted to be a vet since I was three years old", "I love science and animals"-type statements. They are trite and cliche. You need to use this statement as a way of personalizing your application. There are thousands of qualified applications that come into schools, that are separated only by miniscule GPA points and animal-related experiences. The personal statement is your opportunity to show the adcomms exactly what you have to offer to them and what you have to offer to vet medicine.
I think it's also important to keep the statement brief (1000 words I think is ideal.) Good luck
Joanne
 
I wrote my personal statement about my decision to attend vet school. When I was in college, I didn't really want to be a veterinarian because I thought the compensation wasn't worth the overall cost. But I continued volunteering with different animal organizations and had a part-time job with a couple research vets, so I concluded that I obviously was seeking out veterinary type experiences. I also think I am a non-traditional student, so this part of the application gave me the chance to explain how my experiences showed me that I'm drawn to working in a veterinary field and how my outside experiences (economics classes, my job as a research tech) will contribute to my being a veterinarian.