Personal Statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all who were accepted!

Would any of you be interested in sharing your personal statement/give some pointers for the rest of us? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

i think i have a pretty good statement (it came to me in a moment of inspiration one saturday afternoon, and i wrote most of it in ~30 minutes). as for pointers - be sincere!! write about what you know - say where you are coming from, why you want to take this route, what you want to do once a vet, etc.

it is really personal though, so beware.... i hope it helps!

Thanks wild, what an inspiring story!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i know i still have to look at yours! i've been grading my students' papers! here are two of mine. (2006 and 07)

Attachments

• vetessay.doc
    30 KB · Views: 988
  • veterinary essay 2007.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,098
Wow, thank you both - they are incredible stories!

wow, i'm impressed... i don't have the guts to post mine, but reading those should point you in the right direction rl1234.

pointers? i basically took the route wildfocus did and sat down and wrote when an inspiration hit me... lots of editing was done becuase i'm a terrible writer, but the ideas that flow out of you when you're 'in the moment' are the most genuine and most effecting, in my opinion. be sincere :)

I agree with the "when the moment hits" stuff. I just started keeping a list of things (ideas, memories, experiences, cool ways of explaining my opinions on vet med and its intersection with research and teaching) in my planner and wrote something down whenever I thought of it. In the end, it was pretty much a trick of stringing all that stuff together. I'm too chicken to post it, but several of my interviewers quoted it and seemed interested so I think it served me fairly well.

In other words-- take your time. If you feel stressed it will come out in your writing. Start early, and allow your thoughts to grow over time until you feel like you've got a good 'tree' of a personal statement.

Damn, you guys have really interesting lives! Wildfocus, I started my essay with "I havent always wanted to be a veterinarian" and everyone who read it shot it down, saying it might make me look like a flake, so I changed my essay ;) kudos to your honesty.

Here's mine, though I have no idea if it helped or hurt my application:

Oh, and I didnt write when the inspiration hit. I did that at first and everyone who read my statement told me it was a good story but didnt highlight my strengths and focused on my befuddled years before I was sure what I wanted to do. So I whined a bit because I hate trying to sell myself, and then I wrote something much more boring and strategic. Oh well.

Attachments

• personal statement.doc
    25 KB · Views: 1,141
ha, i have no life. i'm already responding.

i think it's GREAT to admit that you haven't always wanted to be a veterinarian! it shows that you've thought about the decision and it's not just that you were some little kid that liked kitties and wanted to be a kitty doctor (not that people who've "always wanted to be a vet" always fall into that category). i found that admissions people were intrigued by my circuitous route into vet med, and i could make a convincing argument that my "looking around" at other careers actually made me more certain of my commitment to the field (rather than less certain/"flaky").

it's so cool to see the interesting things people on this forum have done. i love that everyone has a different, quirky story leading up to their application. we are so awesome. :thumbup:

(i guess it takes an awesome person to kill themselves for a year applying to a terribly expensive program, knowing they might be rejected and accepting the debt burden... only to enter a job where pay likely won't be sufficient to cover the loan.)

Hi guys.

Reading your essays really makes me very excited about meeting my classmates for the next four years. What an awesome array of experiences in and out of the classroom.

It would have been awesome to have a thread like this when I was initially constructing an outline for my essay. So, for those of you applying in the upcoming cycles, here is my contribution (my essay).

Im actually a superhero.
<stops a train with her awesome strength>

Yes, you are. Not everyone can find a way to work flatulence into their personal statement. :laugh:

And here is mine. Perhaps not as interesting as some but it has it's own unique qualities. :rolleyes:

Oh and by the way - I won't bore you all but I know there was some interest in the DVM/MBA program. If somebody wants to see that supplemental essay I would be happy to share.

Attachments

• Personal Statement.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 941
Oh and by the way - I won't bore you all but I know there was some interest in the DVM/MBA program. If somebody wants to see that supplemental essay I would be happy to share.

4theanimals, I am applying to the combined program at CSU next round. I tried to PM you, but your link is missing? I would appreciate your insight regarding your approach to that aspect of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm so happy others posted... you all have incredible stories, and, i concur, we ROCK!! :D

Mine came from an email i wrote to a couple of friends about the story at the beginning of it. The hardest part for me was parring down what I wrote to within the word limit...

It would have been awesome to have a thread like this when I was initially constructing an outline for my essay.
The idea was discussed last year. Basically everyone was afraid their killer essays would be used to the benefit of plagarists who didn't otherwise deserve to get into vet school, thereby lowering the caliber of the profession as a whole...

OK, well, anyway, there was concern that putting a lot of essays in one place would encourage shady behavior, and basically the initiative fizzled.

The idea was discussed last year. Basically everyone was afraid their killer essays would be used to the benefit of plagarists who didn't otherwise deserve to get into vet school, thereby lowering the caliber of the profession as a whole.

i thought of the whole plagerism thing too, but b/c so many people have already read it up to this point, and the admission cycle is over, i decided to post anyway. this is a concern, though, and i would suggest not posting your essay if you have any qualms. however, i don't quite agree that a bunch of plagerists will get into vet school and bring the profession down because of this thread.

Hey guys! For those of you that were brave enough to post your statements they are fantastic! Congratulations! I'm way too much of a sissy to post mine (not for any plagiarism reasons, only because I'm self-conscious) :oops:.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about people stealing personal statements because they are so personal. If someone isn't writing about personal experiences in their statement, I think they are missing the whole point of the assignment. I remember when I was writing mine I looked for samples and couldn't find anything! I was so stressed because I wanted to get an idea of what the schools are looking for and felt like I was going into it blindly. The prompt is so open it's hard to say what exactly to write. I also wrote in a moment of inspiration, had my SO read over it to check for any grammatical/spelling errors and was done. I think the most critical thing to remember is to discuss why you want to go into this profession and how your experiences have confirmed it. If you have anything devastating that has happened to impact your decision, write about it in such a way as to show the positive results that have come from it. I hope that helps, and I'm sorry for being too wussy to show you all my statement.

Yeah, I actually would love to post my personal statement, but I am a little worried about getting caught up in some plagiarism scandal on this board. I don't know if you've noticed, but this board had a lot more visitors this year than last year, and it seems to be growing each year. So I wouldn't be surprised if even more people were looking at them next year.

It's not that I don't trust next year's applicants, but think about how many "guests" are on this board at any given time. It only takes one dishonest person to cause a huge problem...

i'm not even sure how much difference a personal statement makes. so many people are cut off at the gpa stage, then the gre stage, then the experiential stage. it almost seems that aside from schools like tufts and western, where they ask multiple essay-style questions, it doesn't much matter what your essay looks like--just so that it's cohesive and lists your attributes.

I am a little worried about getting caught up in some plagiarism scandal on this board.

Good point, but if everyone plagiarized, the committees would be reading the same PS over and over again, and would just throw out all of the obvious copiers....thinning the applicant pool!! :p

I wouldn't worry too much about plagiarism. If you go to your local bookstore, you'll find hundreds of books just filled with application essays. Plus, you'd have to be pretty ballsy to steal something from a public internet forum - there's no easier way to check for plagiarism than just to google it.

Here's mine.

Attachments

• Personal Statement.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 881
Good point, but if everyone plagiarized, the committees would be reading the same PS over and over again, and would just throw out all of the obvious copiers....thinning the applicant pool!! :p

I wouldn't worry too much about plagiarism. If you go to your local bookstore, you'll find hundreds of books just filled with application essays. Plus, you'd have to be pretty ballsy to steal something from a public internet forum - there's no easier way to check for plagiarism than just to google it.

Well, I know it's unlikely, but I just wouldn't want to be caught up in it. Call me cynical, but just because it's easily caught doesn't mean someone won't do it...plus, it's not as easy to google if you have to download the file to read it. And all of these random guests...I suppose it's more of a peace of mind thing, I would feel like there's a loose end somewhere if I left my PS up on this board. Kudos to those of you brave enough to post, though, I'm sure it'll help next year's applicants. :thumbup:

I kind of agree with cyrille104, but mostly, your personal statement is meant to be personal and what worked for others may not necessarily work for you. Instead, I'll offer the guidelines I followed when writing mine:

1) Have others read it. They'll find mistakes or things you need to clarify.
2) Pick 2-3 of your strong points and explain why they make you a great candidate. Your other qualifications can be listed in a paragraph.
2) Explain why you want to be a vet, why you'll be a great vet, and anything that has strengthened your resolve.

For my statement, I talked about my previous business experience and how the skills I learned (customer service, time management, working as part of a team and acting in a professional manner) would all aid me in a career of veterinary medicine. I also talked about my recent pre-vet internship in Central America, which was almost cancelled due to a lack of interest but then I actively recruited other participants and the trip went on as scheduled. This demonstrated my determination, leadership, and fundraising capabilities. Finally, I talked about my amazing family support and how having children motivated me even more to pursue a career that would leave the world a better place for them (instead of a career in advertising, which I was previously involved in).

You don't have a lot of room to write, so be succint, clear, and professional. This is your chance to stand out from the other applicants, so make it your own! And, if possible, include something witty!!

Good luck to all :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

~Melissa
U.C. Davis SVM Class of 2011

Hopefully no one minds my bumping this thread. And since I'm doing it my personal statement is attached. And in case anyone's wondering the limit was 5000 characters (my essay 4999!).

Attachments

• VMCAS_Essay.doc
    27 KB · Views: 837

I'm also going to be applying to the combined program this next cycle and would be interested in you supplemental. Also, just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing your stats?

Wow, yeah, I guess so. I didn't even look at the date, just saw it at the top of the list. Thanks:oops:

Stats for those interested in posting them are in the sucessful applicants thread.

WOW! Great Statements!

Last edited:
Stats for those interested in posting them are in the sucessful applicants thread.
Yes but this thread is from the class of 2011 so if you want out stats you'll have to hunt up the successful applicants 2011 thread. Just in case anyone was confused!

As someone who is as worried about my personal statement as I am my GPA, thank you to those who have chosen to post their statements for the benefit of those who are coming up in their footsteps. This forum has been such a blessing and support for me - the examples that I have seen from the other "posters" who have succeeded have been encouragement for me. I now know that I am not "the only one" to have experienced something, or worried about something, or failed at something. Now with the posts of personal statements, I can gauge what I will be writing. I will be more confidant in what is written. Thanks.

I can't open any of these attachments...any advise how to open them on a mac?