Personal Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptdude66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how much you can get paid as a personal trainer with a DPT? I get paid around 20/hr with just a certification, so with a DPT how much would people usually charge?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the gym. Some gyms pay on a scale depending on how many clients you are servicing and packages of training you are selling. So at those gyms your pay is not tied to education. Other gyms require that you become a "master trainer" to get the highest pay, also not tied to academic education (rather it's attending those specific master trainer courses). I know of 2 gym chains who start your base pay based on academics and/or years of experience but honestly, it's usually not that much more per hour.

Trainer pay in general depends on the clients you are serving and your success as a trainer (not tied to education necessarily. I've worked with some academically smart trainers that just weren't successful at it).

The range of pay is anywhere from $25-$50/hr (my experiences in the Midwest). With a bachelors degree only and training experience, it is possible to get $50/hr. The DPT won't change that in my opinion.

In my experience as a personal trainer, it wont make a huge difference. It will expand your client populations, and gyms will have you first on the list to sign up any member with history of pain / surgery etc. Pay wise, I don't think they will give you much more. If you went independent and did home training or had a private clientele then i'm sure you can charge a very good amount because of your education and value.

I've seen trainers who had a associates in sociology that were incredibly successful. Many clients don't care about your education, and only want to see results. This causes a lot of trainers doing the "quick" tricks for their clients without consideration of injury prevention, and inevitably hurting them. But hey, this means more work for therapists! :laugh:

Last edited: