postbacpremed87

7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Is there any room in Psychiatry for introverted (I just like observing), yet no non-sense type of people? I am very empathetic but no non-sense in that I am very straightforward with what I tell you. My clinical OSCE preps state that , "postbacpremed87 is very direct and to the point..."....some patients like this more than others.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
yes it's fine I've seen psychiatrists like this

I think they do best inpt

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
work with the prison population

they probably don't give a **** if you tell it to them straight

they have a proscription against crying

milesed

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
That's my personality for the most part. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I've had to learn to be more delicate with some patients, but most appreciate me not wasting their time.

F0nzie

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
You have to be no-nonsense to help patients in any field. In Psych you will see a good number of personality disorders that may take offense to your direct style. Learning how to communicate with each individual effectively is an art form. It is helpful if you take the time to understand the patient's perspective and pick up on nonverbal cues, so they feel understood and cared for while you build rapport and establish appropriate boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
You have to be no-nonsense to help patients in any field. In Psych you will see a good number of personality disorders that may take offense to your direct style. Learning how to communicate with each individual effectively is an art form. It is helpful if you take the time to understand the patient's perspective and pick up on nonverbal cues, so they feel understood and cared for while you build rapport and establish appropriate boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
basically, no, you can't be total dick all the time

lol, the direct translation of the psychiatrist code above

northernpsy

Psychiatrist. No, I'm not analyzing you
Jan 20, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Plenty of introverts wind up in psych. I consider myself one and it has never been a problem since many patients really do want someone to listen to them rather than tell them
what to do.

I'm an inpatient psychiatrist and I definitely think that in inpatient settings it helps to be comfortable with confrontation *at times*, which I'd expect a no-nonsense type to be good at. You do need to have some good judgement about when it's appropriate though. If you go all Albert Ellis on the wrong person you might end up getting assaulted.

SeniorWrangler

7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I see lots of different personality types do well in psychiatry, it's all about figuring out your style and how to make it work for you.
If you are really concerned about this, do the Meyers Briggs and read up your personality type; I don't find this test very useful clinically but it's pretty good for the workplace.

psychMDhopefully

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I wish I had a psych that would tell me like it is and stop beating around the bush. If I'm being an Ahole, or stupid, let me know about it. You should probably be a psych that specializes in helping people who really want honest opinions.

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status
Attending Physician
do the Meyers Briggs and read up your personality type; I don't find this test very useful clinically but it's pretty good for the workplace.
My understanding is that research doesn't support the MBTI as good for anything but a party trick.