personality/specialty test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalBeast

~~
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of my classmates have mentioned taking a personality test which tells you which specialties fit you. Any ideas what this test is and where I can access it?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Google Careers in Medicine and AAMC. There's one somewhere in their site. The questions are kind of ridiculously obvious and if you have a specialty in mind it's easy to steer towards that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Google Careers in Medicine and AAMC. There's one somewhere in their site. The questions are kind of ridiculously obvious and if you have a specialty in mind it's easy to steer towards that.

^^^ This

If you know anything about the various medical specialties (and have particular ones of interest), it is really hard to eliminate bias when selecting answers.

Do you like working with your hands? [no way that is asking about surgery]
Do you place a high value on evidence-based treatment plans and research? [def not relevant to radonc]

^^^ This

If you know anything about the various medical specialties (and have particular ones of interest), it is really hard to eliminate bias when selecting answers.

Do you like working with your hands? [no way that is asking about surgery]
Do you place a high value on evidence-based treatment plans and research? [def not relevant to radonc]

I had several that were something like "Do you enjoy working with children?" "Do you enjoy working with the elderly?" Wonder where they were going with that...

Reactions: 1 user
I had several that were something like "Do you enjoy working with children?" "Do you enjoy working with the elderly?" Wonder where they were going with that...

Despite the obviousness of some of the questions, you'll probably end up with some results that leave you with a...wtf? feeling.

Last edited:
I was told to be a pulmonologist...and I was trying to steer it towards EM at the time. Don't put stock in the test if you know where you want to end up.

Overall, mine was fairly accurate. Path was my highest. I can see why based on my responses but I have no desire to be one. My next were Neuro, Psy, and EM. Probably my top 3 and what I am choosing from. Rads. Then, came IM subs pretty much all of them except Cardio (QoL).

It is just a tool. Nobody should know what you want more than yourself. So, get out there and shadow and rotate. It is your responsibility to figure this out while in school. I know we are constantly being hit with exams, OSCEs, Steps, etc.....but the end goal is becoming a competent physician in the field you want to practice. SO, don't forget to find the best field for you. I have noticed many times this major point gets overlooked or many think this point will magically appear as they rotate. Remember you can't rotate through everything. So, be proactive and see any and everything you think you may want to do. Words of wisdom are over for today. lol

100% match for ob/gyn and preventive medicine- aerospace, what the hell :D

100% match for ob/gyn and preventive medicine- aerospace, what the hell :D
I had a ridiculously high match for preventive medicine-aerospace...that I even bothered to look up that crazy shiz. But fortunately Ob/gyn was nowhere on my list. They'd have to be bat-crazy.

Why does everyone here say you'd have to be crazy to consider OB/GYN as a career?

Surgical personalities (with ovaries) and lifestyle with really high malpractice rates and costs. Also I'd imagine the patient population can be difficult.

Surgical personalities (with ovaries) and lifestyle with really high malpractice rates and costs. Also I'd imagine the patient population can be difficult.

Meaning it sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk