epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am (you guessed it) pre-med, and while I have brief detours when I think I'd like to do pathology or cardiology, I somehow always go back to neurosurgery. I'm jumping the gun, I know, but I just wanted to gather a few opinions.

You see, I am NOT an aggressive person. I'm not shy, just not a natural leader. I'm currently a critical care nurse (applying to med school this year after finishing up my pre-reqs post-bacc style) and this is what I've learned about myself:
1. I like precision
2. My coworkers will tell you that I'm a human encyclopedia. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm not a person who struggles academically.
3. I stay pretty cool under pressure, but I have a tendency to get WALKED ON despite all these things, mostly because I allow it to happen for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

My worry is that I could work my a** off, match, finish residency but never really rack up the necessary learning experience because I'm not always a very savvy advocate for my own learning. I understand that you do have to have a certain degree of chutzpah to succeed in NS. I would love to think that I can work hard and let my performance and acquired knowledge speak for itself, but I suspect that's not the case... thoughts?

(If it matters, I'm also female.)

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know what your question is. If you ask me you are too introspective.

Does neurosurgery interest you? Would you be happy doing that? If yes, then go for it. Have fun. Eat and sleep when you're able. Don't sweat the small stuff. That's about all there is and it's a blast.

kitsunepixie

Kunoichi Extraordinare
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
The Happiest Place on Earth
Status
Attending Physician
There are, thankfully, many personality types in Neurosurgery, but nearly all are alike in their love for high-stake hard work. They are not all like Dandy and Cushing.

Last edited:

kitsunepixie

Kunoichi Extraordinare
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
The Happiest Place on Earth
Status
Attending Physician
Indeed he was. It is still a great compliment to be compared to him. I have met my fair share of attendings who are like how I imagined him to be from his biography, and I admire those individuals as well. I am still glad that there are other types of neurosurgeons out there too, since I imagine too many Cushings would create a lot of tension on a service. :)