Personality types in military med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riversoul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in addition to my diversity thread, i'm curious as to what personality types dominate military medicine. full of jock-type individuals? very selfless, caring people? cutthroat competitive gunners? are all the surgeons egotistical? or is that just a common theme in the civilian world, according to what i've read in the surgical forums? overall, what range of personalities do you see?

Members don't see this ad.

Mostly angry bitter misanthropes who are counting down the days until their indentured servitude finally comes to an end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly angry bitter misanthropes who are counting down the days until their indentured servitude finally comes to an end.

289 days.

Angry and bitter today. Usually just sullen.

When did you send your RAD letter? Do you have PERS approval already? How did you find out? Thanks.

The Air Force doesn't do a RAD letter, per se. We have a form 780, which is Officer Separation Actions. I talked to the NCOIC of personnel well over 1 year out. He told me I can start my checklist at the 1 year point. I started one year to the day of the end my commitment. It took a while to get signatures on my request for separation as it had to go through both the line side and the medical side as I'm assigned to a line unit. Maybe this is a unique situation that isn't worth going into here. Anyway, once my request for separation made it through all the wickets and eventually got the base commander's sig, I brought it back to the PERSCO folks and they sent it along to Air Force Personnel Center for approval. Once the date is approved, PERSCO emails the outprocessing checklist to you.

By the way, it is very useful to get to know the various organization's secretaries and what their favorite candy is. Be openly willing to engage in a little quid pro quo, so to speak.

Thanks. Anybody from the Navy with some RAD experience?

Google MILPERSMAN 1920-090. the request is supposed to made 9-12 months prior to your separation date. They give you a sample of a letter to use. I kept mine pretty short. You can also call PERS 4834 at 901-874-2085 DSN 882-2085.

be careful about the release from active duty RAD versus resignation of commission...they are different in the navy.....actually had two friends get out with RAD as LCDR and ended up on the IRR list...were actually promoted to CDR 4 years later with a congrats letter and oh by the way we are looking for doc's.

be careful about the release from active duty RAD versus resignation of commission...they are different in the navy.....actually had two friends get out with RAD as LCDR and ended up on the IRR list...were actually promoted to CDR 4 years later with a congrats letter and oh by the way we are looking for doc's.

Submit:
RAD if served <8 yrs
Resignation of commission if served >8 yrs.

RAD if served less than 8 years correct

Can RAD or resign if more than 8 years and many navy docs have more than 8 if intern. gmo, residency, and staff payback....... so if they RAD you ....you will go on the IRR list even if you have 19 years....