Pesonal statement of a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ya herd

Let's fighting love!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was curious...Do the adcoms at the schools you're reapplying to keep your old personal statement? In my second one, do I need to restate my background info/interests? If not, what should I do about the schools I'm applying to for the first time on the second go-around (if that makes any sense :laugh: )

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ya herd said:
Hi,

I was curious...Do the adcoms at the schools you're reapplying to keep your old personal statement? In my second one, do I need to restate my background info/interests? If not, what should I do about the schools I'm applying to for the first time on the second go-around (if that makes any sense :laugh: )

Thanks!

I doubt they have your old info. Even if they did, I doubt they would check. According to a physician on the UCLA adcom, they are so freakin busy during app time that they fly through most of the apps. He said, to be honest, they don't look through the apps thoroughly on 90% of them. That is why MCAT and GPA are so important. :(

I spoke with someone at Drexel who stated that they do keep the previous application on file and will bring it out to compare with the new application. I had asked wondering if I actually needed to rewrite my PS.

From what I've read of other people's experiences you should probably indicate that this is a re-application year for you but not make a big deal of it. That way both the schools you've applied to before and the new ones will be able to read the PS and understand where you're coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
pem8erly said:
I spoke with someone at Drexel who stated that they do keep the previous application on file and will bring it out to compare with the new application. I had asked wondering if I actually needed to rewrite my PS.

From what I've read of other people's experiences you should probably indicate that this is a re-application year for you but not make a big deal of it. That way both the schools you've applied to before and the new ones will be able to read the PS and understand where you're coming from.

Are you saying you should incorporate your reapplication into your personal statement? If so, I strongly disagree. Many people reapply to medical school and get in the 2nd time around. Just mention what you have been doing since graduation, but I don't think you need to say you were rejected.

The bottom line is only mention that you are reapplying if you are comfortable talking about it at an interview. I mentioned reapplying in my PS, and everything worked out. Then again, I'm sure there are many reapplicants that don't mention it and still do fine.

OP-
Some schools might keep your old PS. Just write one that you comfortable with submitting to all your schools. I know what you mean though; I applied to some schools my second application for the first time. I didn't mind that they knew I was reapplying to med school, so that's why I mentioned it in the PS. Good luck! :luck:

Hmmm...I'm sure you have good sources about schools keeping old personal statements and actually looking at them. Although this may be a little disheartening, a UCLA adcom member physician told me that he wishes that schools would look at applicants more thoroughly. However, the reality is, they don't and people like me with great letters of rec, experiences, MCAT score but low GPA don't stand a chance. They literally just gloss over the apps. While looking through apps, he sometimes finds a few that look really interesting and actually reads through it. However, this rarely happens. Its not that they don't care, but they just don't have the time when so many people apply. Also, take into account that many people on the adcom are super-busy physicians. If any of you have worked for a physician in academia, you would know what I mean. Sorry to burst the bubble, but it's the truth. Life is hard. :(

premed said:
Hmmm...I'm sure you have good sources about schools keeping old personal statements and actually looking at them. Although this may be a little disheartening, a UCLA adcom member physician told me that he wishes that schools would look at applicants more thoroughly. However, the reality is, they don't and people like me with great letters of rec, experiences, MCAT score but low GPA don't stand a chance. They literally just gloss over the apps. While looking through apps, he sometimes finds a few that look really interesting and actually reads through it. However, this rarely happens. Its not that they don't care, but they just don't have the time when so many people apply. Also, take into account that many people on the adcom are super-busy physicians. If any of you have worked for a physician in academia, you would know what I mean. Sorry to burst the bubble, but it's the truth. Life is hard. :(
So far, I have heard this about UC schools, but does the same hold true for NY and PA schools?
Are they too busy to look thru ECs, LORs...?

KNightInBlue said:
So far, I have heard this about UC schools, but does the same hold true for NY and PA schools?
Are they too busy to look thru ECs, LORs...?

I am sure medical schools try to the best of their abilities to look through every app. Some schools probably emphasize this more and even at UC schools, some apps get looked at very closely. Ideally this should happen to every app at every medical school. However, many times your app will only get looked at by a screener and get put aside in a rotary file. :(