Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
http://www.ashp.org/bpspetition

"The American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), and the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) have jointly submitted a petition to the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties (BPS) requesting recognition of Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Practice as a Specialty. This is the first time these three national organizations have collaborated jointly on a petition to BPS and marks the first request for recognition of a new specialty submitted to BPS since 1992."

You can read more through the link. I just thought this was interesting.

njac

15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
http://www.ashp.org/bpspetition

"The American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), and the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) have jointly submitted a petition to the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties (BPS) requesting recognition of Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Practice as a Specialty. This is the first time these three national organizations have collaborated jointly on a petition to BPS and marks the first request for recognition of a new specialty submitted to BPS since 1992."

You can read more through the link. I just thought this was interesting.

it seems as if "Ambulatory Care" is such a broad topic - how would they test for board certification?

Priapism321

Bursting with enthusiasm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
it seems as if "Ambulatory Care" is such a broad topic - how would they test for board certification?

Maybe the same way they test Physicians for board certification in "Internal Medicine" or Pharmacists in "Pharmacotherapy."

About the Ads

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
There should be Board Certified Pharmacy Administrators... Let me write the test...

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
I bet 60% of that test would test to see if they had leet golfing skills... :smuggrin:

I would limit golf to 25%. I would certainly add "how to flirt with nursing" section...worth 35%... How to manage female employees..10%, Joint Commission 5%, Financials, 20%, Clinical 15%, Supplies, 10%...ok, is that about 100%??

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I would limit golf to 25%. I would certainly add "how to flirt with nursing" section...worth 35%... How to manage female employees..10%, Joint Commission 5%, Financials, 20%, Clinical 15%, Supplies, 10%...ok, is that about 100%??

I would agree with you, but your numbers don't add up to 100%. :smuggrin: :p

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
Yes. I recall a couple of years ago, a professor mentioned that they are trying to push ambulatory care as a specialty and therefore, would require an additional year of residency since it is a specialty field.

I, personally, think it is pure BS. It's just another example of people at the top adding more road blocks. Do they seriously think someone would spend 10 years (4 years for undergraduate, 4 years for pharmacy school and 2 years for residency) and expect them to make less than a retail pharmacist? Might as well become a physician. You would at least make more money.

Last edited:

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
wasn't there something put out by ACPE encouraging all Pharm.D. graduates to complete a residency by 2020 or something?

I know it was ACCP that was pushing that, and maybe other organizations are jumping aboard. ACCP's Vision as stated in their May 2007 Report was that they believed by 2020, a PGY-1 residency should be a prereq for all pharmacists that would have direct patient care.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
Sometimes money isn't everything, and physicians are not happy with their careers according to the most recent surveys and suicide studies.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/11/18/doctors-feel-gloomy-financially-strapped/

Physicians are not but are pharmacists that much better off? A lot of people choose pharmacy because it does not require as much time as medicine. If our profession is becoming like medicine, I bet you a lot of smart people would rather do medicine.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.